No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Urananium elephant please.  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Help with Urananium elephant please.
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:15:10 PM »
One of this morning's acquisitions  -  and I have looked on the search re elephants, for which there is a lot of info., but can't yet see anything identical.  Thought it was too modern to be U. glass, but in fact it reacts well under the torch, so am now thinking 1940's  -  and possibly a salt, although the furrow/scallop at the top of the head is a bit of a mystery (ashtray?).   about 14 cms. in total length, and about 8 cms. at the widest.    Bottoms of feet are simply ground and polished smooth, and the trunk and face, as shown in the pic. are frosted.   No marks or numbers whatesoever, so grateful for any suggestions, thanks.    Paul S. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Help with Urananium elephant please.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:15:52 AM »
I think it's a pipe rest.  Funnily enough, I saw two very similar elephants (no frosting though) at a bootfair about a week ago.  Not in uranium glass ...one was in clear and one was...I think...a brown colour.  The woman said 'They're 1920s', but I thought they were modern and so didn't buy them.  
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help with Urananium elephant please.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:04:47 AM »
thanks indeed Max.   -   that does make sense  -  although I admit to never having seen one previously ( in any colour).    I was briefly, many years ago, a pipe smoker (the curly Peterson sort  -  which wouldn't of course have really fitted this elephant - which, if correct, is designed for straight stemmed pipes).   Anyway, your suggestion sounds very good, and thanks for your help.   It never ceases to amaze me the extent to which we have gone to create things in glass.   Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand