No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Monkey covered sugar bowl (split from "Monkey" table set G Duncan, PA)  (Read 6105 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Thank you Bernard

The sugar bowl is on its way to Australia, very surprised that there were no bidders from the UK , 4 from the USA and the 2 high bidders from Australia.

Very happy with the end result as when I bought it I had to think £55.00 was quite a lot , but decided to buy as I had not seen one before .

I am hoping to make the Cambridge Glass Fair so may see you there if I make it, depends on how well my wife is as shes been very poorly this year and is going in hospital on the 29th September for an operation and  some tests

Roy

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
...   very surprised that there were no bidders from the UK   ...

Roy — How do you know?   If I had bid £150 for it you would never have known as I snipe a few seconds before the auction ends, so in this case eBay wouldn't have registered the bid from my sniping utility.   It often amazes me how many end their auctions early and lose out on sniped bids.

I hope to see you at Cambridge, and please give my regards and best wishes to your OH.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Bernard I agree with what you say I know in many cases in the last 7 seconds there could be many snipes and only the highest will show, I just leaving for Kempton in a minute to see what I can find today

regards Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
In the quote in the first post of this thread, Bernard had not seen a matching creamer in the Sowerby 1125 ‘monkey’ pattern.

Here’s a photo of one (recently sold on eBay for £79.99) which bears a date lozenge for 6 March 1876 - Parcel 3 on the interior base.  That parcel includes 7 registrations (RDs 298870 to 298876) - Cottle assigns RD 298874 to pattern 1135 plant holder, and it seems that the mostly likely corresponding RD number for creamer is 298876 (described by Thompson and Cottle as 'jug') Measures 3.9 inches tall to the top of the monkey.

Hope it’s worth the 3½ year wait.

(Permission for the re-use of this image on GMB granted by punkptc). 

Offline dor1shopping

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware
    • United Kingdom
I have what i believe to be a sowerby Monkey handled creamer Jug, it has the diamond inside with the 6 at the top and RD in the middle and SVW at each point. It is in excellent condition with no chips and no scuffing underneath but i would like to know a bit more about it, i shall post some pics. Can anyone help please

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Welcome  to the GMB, dor1shopping.

Most of the information is already in the preceding posts, but I’ll try and summarise it for you.

Your date lozenge [a similar one is shown in post 9 of this thread] actually reads (clockwise from the top) 6-V-W-3, which translates to 6 March 1876 – Parcel 3, the date that Sowerby registered the design.  That registration parcel includes 7 actual registration designs (numbers 298870 to 298876), of which the most likely number for the ‘monkey’ creamer is 298876.

There is a small suite of Sowerby pieces with basically the same design – monkey handles and stippled bodies to the actual bowls, bodies etc. of the pieces - they all seem to have the same registry date mark, and they all seem to be in clear flint glass. They all have the same Sowerby pattern number of 1125 (as shown against some of the pieces illustrated in the Sowerby pattern book XI of 1885).

The covered lidded sugar bowl is shown in the first post of this thread. The matching creamer is shown in your photo and the one in the post preceding it. On
http://www.pressedintime.com/sowerby.htm
the second photograph down shows a pedestal bowl with 2 ‘monkey’ handles (probably the uncovered version of the sugar bowl already referred to), and below it is a butter dish with a single ‘monkey’ handle (like the creamer).

All the pattern 1125 pieces would appear to be uncommon.

If anyone has Sowerby ‘monkey’ pattern 1125 pieces other than those already mentioned here, I would be most grateful if they would share photos of them on the GMB.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Fred

I bought this today another example of the Sowerby monkey handle sugar bowl.

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Roy.

Nice photos.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum