No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amethyst bowl + bubbles and pointy feet - ID=Stevens & Williams / Royal Brierley  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
I recently sold an identical bowl, except that it was the accompanying lid to a jar in the same pattern!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Yes, Littleblackhen they came in the form of a ginger jar as well, effectively using smaller versions of the bowl in question as the lid, however years ago I tried to see if it was possible to 'marry' the base and top and they seem to be matched prior to leaving the factory. (Someone I knew had a ginger jar and I had a corresponding dish. The two dishes/lids did not interchange.) In other words you would need to select from many dishes before finding a lid that will fit the base.

As for date, at this point in time, I would suggest that it is similar to the Rainbow Range by S&W, that is 1930's through to 1950's. However, this will need further research for confirmation.

Nigel

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Nigel, thank you, that was what I'd suspected but it's good to have your thoughts too.

Incidentally, there was a lid with a knob on my bowl like this when I picked it up... the lid doesn't fit well - it tends to tip sideways, and has no bubbles in it despite being an almost exact colour match. I'd assumed it was a marriage so have removed it... would that be right Nigel? (I can add a pic of the lid if it helps.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
Please do post a photo of the lid, and the lid next to the bowl if possible, Anne. But there is no rush as I'm off for a few days (a quick visit to Mum's).

Cheers, Nigel

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
OK Nigel, shall do it over the next day or so (when I've found where himself has hidden the camera this time! ;D)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hope you had a good visit to your Mum Nigel. :)

Here are the pics showing my bowl with the lid it came with, which I don't think belongs with it. (I'd love to know what the lid is from though!) You can see how badly it fits in the second pic with the lid in place... if it's not in exactly one spot it slips sideways!  ::)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
Hello Anne,

I looked at this a few days ago when you put it on and decided to give it a little thought before answering.

At this point in time I am not aware of a lid like yours that I can attribute to S&W.

However, I suppose we have to go through this a little.

On the one hand you say that the colour is not true to the base and that the lid is not a good fit. Quite obviously there are also no bubbles in the lid, so one might well assume that it did not start life as the lid to this bowl.

Conversely, depending on the thickness of the glass, whether or not it was made at the same time as the base, etc., it is still possible that it could be a S&W lid. Equally, have you ever tried to match a lid and a base (or a stopper with a decanter base for that matter)? It is a very difficult thing to achieve and requires a modicum of luck, especially if you are to even approximate a colour match as well (clear being somewhat easier). The lids on the ginger jars are not a particularly good fit, so that also makes one wonder. The biggest problem is the lack of bubbles, which certainly leaves a huge question mark about whether or not the two pieces are original to each other.

Not really an answer I know. More of an analysis of the characteristics which allows one to make a judgement - which I'm sure will divide into two clear lines of support. My guess is that they could have been bought at the same time as each as a sort of mix and match that appealed to the owner at the time, but without anything to back it up, other than the problem of matching the top and the bottom at a later date.
You pays ya money and ya takes ya choice ;) :)

Nigel

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Nigel, thank you again, you've summarised my thoughts on this far better than I could have explained myself.  My own feeling is that the lid was not intended to go with the bowl - it feels like it should be the lid from a different powder pot or other lidded bowl, but whether or not we can ever find out if it's S&W or whoever else, remains the question. The only certainty is that the lid feels well made, and I'll keep it as a mystery piece until I can find out more. Thank you so much for your time and insight. 

Offline keith

• Members
Have just returned from Dudley archives where I saw two photographs in one folder, no date I'm afraid, in the Royal Brierley, S&W's records section  of a number of these bowls ( no lids ) and vases and the other of 'Rainbow' vases, bowls and a small jug, will be returning when possible. ;D ;D

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Here's another shallower bowl which looks like the same colour as your's Keith . It's 10.5 inches in diameter , has  eight pointy toes to foot and 12 lines of controlled bubbles.

P.S. The Dudley archives might be interested in the sign  ;) Worth mentioning it next time you are there !
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand