No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: iridescence and uranium in the same bowl.  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
iridescence and uranium in the same bowl.
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »
I hadn't really associated the two, and wouldn't have occured to me to put this under the torch. - just happened by accident.    Barrie Skelcher includes a couple of pieces in his books.  Think he calls the vase continental 1930 ish. and an odd little plate that he suggests is 1935 (but doesn't give a source).   Gulliver shows a vaguely similar surface finish with this sort of intaglio/recessed kind of lines thingy (about 1900), but I suspect it is more likely to be Czechoslovakian 1930 ish.    Is the fact that iridescence and Uranium are included in the same piece any guide to its origin?    Quite small really - 10 cms. wide and about 6 cms. high. and unfortunately a few small nibles aroung the top rim, which has been ground.    The inside is very smooth.  Very grateful for anyone's thoughts - and thanks for looking - sorry the pics. are not too sharp.   Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: iridescence and uranium in the same bowl.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
I am thinking maybe Kralik? Kralik worked with uranium glass sometimes. Maybe Craig will have a better idea.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »
I do not know why for sure, but my gut is saying not Kralik on this one.  A little crude in the detail, at least it appears that way in the images, and the coloration of the iridescence makes me lean that way. The iridesence reminds me of Grenada and Pepita by Rindskopf, although it is neither of those decors.

IMHO the UV reaction does not point any specific direction....  I also think it to be earlier than the 30's. Closer to 1900. If it were Kralik and the Deco era, the quality of the work would be much better, as that was one of their strongest periods....

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
The vase reminds me of the unidentified Bohemian pieces that are often said to be Kralik, though I have doubts that they are. There are some pictures of martele vases of this type of glass at http://home.earthlink.net/~verredart2/glass/Miscellaneous.html (4th and 5th vase down). These vases are very different than the Paul's. It is probably the continuity of the pattern across the bottom that makes me think of them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »
Hi Anita,

The two vases in the link you are referring to I believe are actually Kralik pieces. They are the only house that I am aware did that alternating pattern.  They have Martel? next to both of them, but they are not. If you do take a close look, the quality of the mold work appears to be quite a bit more refined and polished than this piece.....  If this is not a Rindskopf piece, I feel it is more than likely a lesser house.  I am curious what Mike or Warren think if they come along....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »
thanks to both of you.    I know some of these iridescent pieces can be difficutl to place  -  this one was in fact the first piece that I had found with both the uranium and iridescenc combined, so it became a little more interesting for me.    Paul S.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
Hi

I think Craig is pretty spot on here. I might even go further and say not kralik and probably not Rindskopf. Probably one of those many secondary houses -from Bohemia at that time.

cheers

Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:06:19 PM »
thanks Mike  -  appreciate your thoughts, and will go with your considered opinion.    Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand