No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large vase signed "A...es" Murano Barovier style  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Large vase signed "A...es" Murano Barovier style
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »
Posting this for a friend of a friend who I think recently bought it at a flea market type thing in Italy.

32.5cm (12 3/4") high, signed on the base as shown...looks like a nice quality piece and I'm guessing the name is one of those nicknames as it has quotation marks around it.

I'll pass on any ideas which will be gratefully received.

Martyn.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Large vase signed "A...es" Murano Barovier style
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
Hi Martyn i cant think of anyone else other than BAROVIER . nice piece i would love it , even if i am wrong .

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
Sorry, but I do not think this is a Barovier piece.  I think it maybe a modern reproduction of a Barovier.  Many modern makers have reproduced this piece.  If I am recalling correctly I think Stefano Toso also reproduced this piece.
I am sure others did as well.     (*Note:  I do not think Stefano Toso did this piece.  I was just trying to give an example*)

tam bam

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
Hi both,

I'm only going by the photos you see here and haven't seen it in the flesh, but my personal opinion is along the same lines as tam bam. Maybe not strictly a reproduction more an homage? Any random guesses as to what the sig might say I'll feed into google (tried dozens already without luck)

JP,
You are currently third in the queue...thank you for your patience... >:D

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Martin K,

IMPO, I think the signature is the name of the company who produced it.  It maybe one we have never heard of.  I am always hearing about newer companies in Murano that I didn't know existed because most of the books and info out there focus heavily on older Murano companies.  I have an interest in the newer companies for some strange reason.  Maybe because their pieces are a little more challenging.  I have always said if I have the time I want to write a book on the newer companies.   I bet I would make millions. ;)  A girl can dream...

tam bam

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
Why the quotation marks?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 12:13:05 AM »
Martin K,
IMPO, I think the signature is the name of the company who produced it.  It maybe one we have never heard of.  I am always hearing about newer companies in Murano that I didn't know existed because most of the books and info out there focus heavily on older Murano companies.  I have an interest in the newer companies for some strange reason.  Maybe because their pieces are a little more challenging.  I have always said if I have the time I want to write a book on the newer companies.   I bet I would make millions. ;)  A girl can dream...

Tami, you have done so much to promote newer companies. I was thinking earlier how nice it was you had helped steer the groups toward some newer things. About the signature -- It strikes me as being something like Autz e S, Murano. I checked to see if there was someone named Autz associated with Murano (and perhaps his sons, since the e could mean and.). There were a couple of Google things, but nothing I could nail down as being relevant. I do not think the vase is Barovier, either. The rim does not look like them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 06:37:28 AM »
Is it not just a poorly rendered Artes Murano?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand