No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature dented blue opal glass with gold leaf ID = Salviati  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Miniature dented blue opal glass with gold leaf ID = Salviati
« on: August 27, 2009, 12:37:02 PM »
A little bit out of my comfort zone, this.

It's a beautiful miniature opaline drinking glass, just 42mm tall and 38mm across (1.65" x 1.49" in old money) with dented sides. The gather was rolled in gold leaf before blowing, which would have resulted in a crackled surface - unfortunately most of this has rubbed off, but it has left a pitted surface behind where it once was, and also there is gold leaf trapped under remnants of glass from the snapped-off punty to the base, which shows it wasn't applied later.

The glass is very light and fairly coarse, with quite a few small bubbles and pieces of frit. the circumference of the rim is also very uneven

Absolutely no idea of who/when/what, but I suspect pre-C20... I just don't know by how much.

Apologies for the poor photos - not had time to set my lighting up today.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Miniature dented blue opal glass with gold leaf
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:52:11 PM »
Salviati, or so it seems.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »
Oh, excellent. Do you know approximately when they were produced?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »
Twenties I guess - but I could be off by a few decades.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:58:49 PM »
A quick bit of Googling brings up a date of c.1870 with a Salviati attribution for a similar piece on the Great Glass website:

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib4aa.htm (second row)

No idea how reliable these date attributions are.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »
I agree Salviati c1900 they are in most early italian glass books they come in many sizes colours and types of glass, Powell copied them and just lately several have turned up on ebay  listed as  Powell  ,  ~IMHO ~ incorrectly ,last time i looked i had 17 various but i believe all of mine are Venetian . i suppose i could lie and make more money , Nahhh .
PS  The Granular ones like Ivos seem more collectable .

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »
Ah, I've only one book dedicated to Venetian glass - I could do with more, but it's down to the old issues of finances and shelf-space.

I believe Powell was producing similar dented forms from around the 1870s-80s onwards. They were also produced by Walsh Walsh and a number of other Stourbridge makers. See: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23930.msg133914.html#msg133914

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »
From the color of the glass, I would say Salviati late 19th-early 20th Century. Salviati did many things in this color. I've read that this style of vase also appears in the Testolini catalogs, which is understandable given that Testolini continued many of the CVM patterns. (Salviati started CVM. I won't go into the history because it is convoluted). The gold that is on the blue vase looks like it has been oxidized after being applied.

I usually see these pieces called posy vases.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »
Thanks for the additional input - although I can't imagine anyone calling one of these a posy vase! They're far too SMALL and LIGHT to hold anything, except perhaps a couple of daisies.  :D

I'd just assumed given its similarity of shape to Walsh Walsh glass that I own, and also its size, that it was a drinking glass of sorts. But it could quite easily be a miniature novelty vase also.

Has the covering of the gather in gold leaf a specific technique name, does anyone know?

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
Some sellers list them as tooth pick holders but they are so light they would probably fall over .Could be Lilliputian beer glasses ? ;D :-\ :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand