No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual multi-coloured cased sculpture bowl - ID generic Murano  (Read 1716 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Usually when i buy this type of fancy colour/shape of glass it turn's out too be chinese in origin although to me this resembles italian type of glass but lots of bits ive purchased i think are italian  :24: This piece measures around 8" in diameter and around 4" tall it has a white cased undeside and a clear main body with the adition of varying degrees of red's and gold flecks the red's are in a swirling motion from the centre out to the rim which is pie-crust in form with two section's that have been turned over for asetic value. The small 2-3" diamter polished foot underneath is unmarked apart for wear which isnt profuse i guess the piece maybe 60s 70s in age no earlier. The piece is a good weight maybe 2kg in weight and alright quality but not astoundingly well finished or excecuted . Would anyone have an idea as too its origin please?? Thanks for taking a look chez. :hiclp:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Unusual multi-coloured cased sculpture bowl unknown maker??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
The bowl is probably Murano, but I do not know the maker.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:27:50 AM »
oHH great thankyou my first murano bowl fingers crossed  :hiclp:

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »
Would anyone know? Is this type of piece more of a generic piece rather than a more expensive well made by a good company and designer type of piece? :hiclp:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
Nice piece, but I'd say it's more generic, and very unlikely to be attributable to  specific designer--and judging by Anita's response, I'd guess that's what she thinks, too.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
Yes a nice piece of Italian glass , well made looks quality IMHO . ;)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
"Generic" in Murano terms is not a bad word. It just means that no one seems to know who made a piece. I know that many of the generic pieces were made by good companies. People who are new to Murano look for names and labels. This is a good thing, of course. (I sound like Martha Stewart.  :D ) It makes these pieces more valuable on sites such as eBay. Old timers don't care as much, so generic is just fine as long as it is nice.

Your piece falls in the generic category to me because it doesn't have a label and I don't know who did it. Someone else may be able to put a name on it, though.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Re: Unusual multi-coloured cased sculpture bowl - ID generic Murano
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 08:09:18 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me your right it should depend on the pieces individual attributiuon's rather than just the factory/label applied  to the base after all glass collecting is a very personal thing. Must hold my hands up though i did think before you explained about generic that generic meant mass produced pieces that were of less quality thanks :thup:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unusual multi-coloured cased sculpture bowl - ID generic Murano
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:48:10 AM »
I wouldn't say generic means of lesser quality just that similar forms were used by many companies. Even the best companies will have bread and butter lines, they help pay the bills.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand