No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finally vindicated? Andries Copier vase in red  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
Finally vindicated? Andries Copier vase in red
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:17:56 AM »
This board is probably one of the few places where I can tell this story to a receptive audience.

Last weekend we went shopping at the bootsale and I picked up a small red vase shaped like a lab-flask.
My other half kept on saying 'It's from IKEA' but I wasn't going to put my 2 euros away and we carried it off for the same price as four visits to a public toilet.

On getting home and reaching for the books, folllowing the vague recollections which pass for 'memory', I was lucky to find it really quickly, and it only took a few seconds to find out a value for it.

It's a new record for me, which after a lifetime of Antiques Roadshow, has given me the sense that I am finally getting better at spotting the pearls amongst the pig manure

So here it is, a little 2 euro bottle designed by Andries Copier in 1961, 162mm tall (middle of three sizes)

Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
Re: Finally vindicated?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:35:54 PM »
I'll be taking it to the National Art Glass Fair in Leerdam in a fortnight. And happy to have something of 'quality' to show!
It's Copier's contribution to a unique 'multi-designer' group of industrial vases, and was made in zircon red.
Personally I am really uncertain when it comes to recognising 'tints', whereas other half is a florist and usually finds it easier.

BUT it just made me so HAPPY to be right for once/at last! (especially when my other half was sooo septical!! )
It's the 'Bargain Hunt Dream', and I finally worked/earned my way to a really good find! If I were a peacock my tail would be huge!!

Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand