No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please can you ID this vase - possibly Czech (not Sklo Union)  (Read 4090 times)

Offline thepazza71

• Members
Please can you ID this vase - possibly Czech (not Sklo Union)
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
hi, could anyone help me with this vase please?
i was sold it as 'sklo union' and would like to know if it is and if so, any idea of the maker/age etc.
it stands approx 14" tall ant the pontil is matt polished.
many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: sklo union?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the GMB,

That vase looks as if its blown and not mould blown. It is also particularly tall. Neither things suggest 'Sklo Union' (glass union, 'sklo' being the Czech for glass - for newer members).

As far as I'm aware 'Sklo Union' refers to mould blown work produced by a particular group of factories from Czechoslovakia.

Could you post a picture of the base and the rim of your vase please? Both would help folks to narrow down the origin of the vase.

Thanks, Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
hi, thanks for your time,
here is a picture of the base.

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
I did wonder if it was blown as i cant find any sign of a seem but couldn't work out how they would get the white lines so straight... as you may of worked out i'm only a novice collector of glass  :-\

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
sorry i never read your reply properly, here is a picture of the rim as well

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
sorry just another thing... if it isn't sklo union would anyone have an idea of where its from?
I paid £16.50 for it at a car boot sale (still like it and happy with the price wherever its from) and would just like to know more about it as i have decided to start collecting something other than whitefriars because i am bored with it.
also is there anything i should look out for to help identify czech glass that will help in the future?
this is a lot of questions i know so i apologise for my cheek!  ;)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
Hi,

It looks like the blue was blown into a dip mould (internally serrated, or cog-like) caste iron mould to get the ribbing, then after more working the opaque white trailing would have been added to the outside surface - probably by eye/hand - although there are also ways of doing this by machine.

The top rim appears to be fire polished (rounded from heat) and the base pontil is ground and polished with the surrounding base area flatted, but that appears to have no wear. This doesn't always mean that the piece is young or new, but I'm guessing in this case it may be.

Difficult, because you've no idea of provenance when you buy from a boot fair in particular - unless you can build up a good repore with the seller and can then feel you trust whatever they tell you about it's past. I still feel this is probably very young.

Oh, the best introductory book on Czech glass generally is probably Mark Hill's "Hi Sklo Lo Sklo", but if you want to understand all about much Czech pressed and mould blown glass you should buy "Sklo Union, Art Before Industry: 20th Century Pressed Glass" by Marcus Newhall - both are members of this board, and both books are available through the internet (ebay and Amazon respectively). They would be a good investment if you are going to collect Czech glass from the post-war era.

Nigel

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
thanks nigel... maybe next time eh?  ;) still gonna keep it because i like it, pity i dont know anything about it though!
ha ha

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »
Just wait, you never know, someone will probably come along and give you all the detail you need - and teach me at the same time  :o ;)

I agree the vase is very pleasing to the eye.

Nigel

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 06:23:27 PM »
thanks again Nigel,
I dont thinks its very new, there is a fair bit of wear to the base (the picture really doesn't pick it up) and definately looks and feels quality?
probably bought last month from ikea now i've said that! ha ha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand