No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 Vases - Willy Johansson for Hadeland - Looking for History & Info  (Read 5278 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
A recent auction purchase that I will most likely sell..... 

Just thought there may be some members who would enjoy seeing these vases....  I find the forms to be quite pleasing.

I am primarily interested in any information that may be available about the forms. I have found some info on the artist as far as some awards and a few designs. There is not much on the internet that is in English...  and I am unfortunately not multi-lingual. My local library does not really have any books that cover him that I could locate... I am interested knowing scarcity of these earlier pieces, if they were part of a series with a name, if they have individual names (it seems several vases I found by the artist do)....  I know they are relatively early but I have been unable to find much specific info regarding the forms. the earliest pieces I could find were dated 1955.  I have found other forms by WJ, but not these... I am also interested in assessments of value if anyone would like to email me directly....They are all signed and are all Willy Johansson.  I am posting the three together as I am not looking for ID, but for artist info and history.... 

The first vase is signed "Hadeland 58 WJ".      about 6 inches tall
The second vase is signed "WJ Hadeland 58".  about 10 inches tall
The third vase is signed "Hadeland 59 WJ".     about 6.5 inches tall

TIA,  Craig

If this should be in Scandinavian glass then please feel free to move it...
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
Re: 3 Vases - Willy Johansson for Hadeland - Looking for History & Info
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
Graig, persueing hyacinth vases made by Willy Johansson I got a bit of information when I googled Hadeland Willy Johanson. A lot was in English, I don't speak Norwegian either.
Of course trying to find it all back for you didn't work so I better start quoting:

The designer Willy Johansson was born on May 2nd 1921 at Jevnaker, Norway and died at Jevnaker Nov.6th 1993.
1936 Engaged by Hadeland Glassverk, in the glassmaking workshop.
1939-42 The State School of Applied Arts and Crafts, Oslo
1942-45 Engaged by Hadeland Glassverk in the sandblowing section under supervision of sculptor Staale Kyllingstad.
1945-47 Temporarily employed in the engraving workshop at A/S Christiania Glasmagasin while attending nightschool at the State School of Applied Arts and Crafts, Oslo.
1947-88 Full time designer at Hadeland Glassverk
Do you need additional information, please contact me. Torun Sørli

I never went any further then this but may be somehow you can get in contact with this Torun Sørli.
Hope it was any help,

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: 3 Vases - Willy Johansson for Hadeland - Looking for History & Info
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the info... It is more than I was able to find....  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand