No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: basket, anyone?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
basket, anyone?
« on: October 19, 2005, 07:41:44 AM »
http://tinypic.com/erg2z5.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3079

Pressed brown basket, circular pontil mark unfinished, hand applied handle in sapphire blue.

French? :roll:  British?  :roll:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
basket, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 07:50:01 AM »
Hi Ivo,
I've seen this unusual combination of colours in France - can't recall instantly whether Vallerysthal or Portieux - one of them produced a stemware line '?Carmen?' in amber (stem) and blue (cup)
Hope this helps
best regards
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
basket, anyone?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:02:35 AM »
I know what you mean - Portieux still  have this service in production, which was designed for Napoléon - but I think the amber is much lighter. The item is also rougher than most Val/Por I know - so I wondered maybe it could me Meisenthal?

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
basket, anyone?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:22:44 PM »
...and, as we are still in the upper section of this thread I may correct myself without quoting:
The amber/blue combination I meant is Portieux, the name is ISABELLE (instead Carmen sorry) and the cup is amber, and the stem is blue (uranium)

Ivo, can you please submit more regarding the pattern of this basket - description, photos? I definitely cannot make out - are there roses, grapes or what else?
Thank you!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
basket, anyone?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 07:38:43 AM »
Wild rose, without any doubt. There is a flower in full bloom just where the handle is attached, the leaves are botanically correct for roses and there is one rose bud at the end of the twig.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
basket, anyone?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:39:44 AM »
very good description which makes it really visible, Ivo thank you!
this sounds and looks like the classic 'Meissen-Rose' how we call this pattern here, very often also found on ?punched? silver items like my small cups and a napkin ring...
Should we thus look into the Brockwitz or even Bohemian direction?

Sorry, so far always forgot to mention: it's a beauty - I like it very much!
Pamela

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
basket, anyone?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 06:09:21 PM »
Visited Valérysthal several times, it is a lovely place. A tiny valley in the North Vosges, in which a crumbling industrial complex overgrown with weeds. It used to be a big factory, not any more. They have been reorganised as a Cristallerie, and they make very nice tableware - still in conjunction with Portieux, both under the management of Harzviller, the dinnerware maker.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
basket, anyone?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 11:49:43 AM »
Think the pic needs updating

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
basket, anyone?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »
done - but left the original tinypic link in place. October 2005 and still working September 2006...

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
basket, anyone?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 01:06:33 PM »
Notley / Miller's p25 shows a matching blue/amber tazza.   I had until recently a matching celery and water jug.    Always unusual combinations of pressed and hand-made.   The celery was magnificent with a tall three dolphin pressed base and a ribbed hand made tall top.

Notley increases the value substantially for reverse pairs.

Always, in my experience, blue/amber, never any other colour combination.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand