No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: basket, anyone?  (Read 4161 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
basket, anyone?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 01:16:36 PM »
I have a pair of amber tankards with wrythen blue handles,  with Mary Gregory style paintings to the front

I had them on ebay - they didn't sell  :cry:
but here is the link to the boy, if you would like to have a look, the colours seem lighter than this dish, but similar combination.

amber and blue tankard
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
basket, anyone?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 01:40:28 PM »
Lynne — There was a similar handle on my jug.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
basket, anyone?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 08:16:54 AM »
Hi All,

You do see similar open baskets with four dolphin shaped feet and decorated with sea shells and the like. We have an amber one with a blue handle and a blue one with an amber handle. I have also seen the same basket in plain flint.

There was an article about them in one the the pressglas-korrespondenz issues a while back. If I remember correctly no maker was identified, but the author thought they were french.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
basket, anyone?
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 11:01:27 AM »
Bernard - do you have a rough date for your piece?  I am feeling edgy about these tankards, I have a gut feeling they are later than I first thought.  The Mary Gregory forgeries are getting more and more like the real 19th c  thing, there is only the base glass to go on these days.  

:cry:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
basket, anyone?
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 01:18:24 PM »
Quote from: "josordoni"
Bernard - do you have a rough date for your piece?  I am feeling edgy about these tankards, I have a gut feeling they are later than I first thought.  The Mary Gregory forgeries are getting more and more like the real 19th c  thing, there is only the base glass to go on these days. ...

Lynne — Notley dates these to c1895.   In style, perhaps, but the moulds always look rather knackered, a bit leaky.   Notley also suggests German moulds, but a French or Belgian glass house.   Having seen some factory reference collections on Murano containing wonderful Victorian English style glass still being made in the 1950s, I think you could add as much as 60 years to Notley's date, and still be a little optimistic.

I would be interested in how you know the difference between the old "Mary Gregory" glass and that which looks as if it has just been unpacked from the factory's boxes.

It is nice to find someone else showing a little caution about this glass.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
basket, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »
Well, French/German/Belgian glass would be right, as most of the Mary Gregory style Victorian/Edwardian pieces came out of Bavaria.

In general I go on the painting style.  In the old pieces, the heads and feet are a certain shape, there is a degree of "cameo" three dimensions in the way that the paint is applied, the ferns are lighter and more delicate, the whole quality is greater.

Disregarding the VERY horrible screen printed ones (UGH!  I can't see how anyone could be taken in) and the ones with very large heads with 1950 Italian style pony tails on the girls, which are obvious, so not trying to deceive (IMHO) I am just a bit dubious if the painting doesn't fit well with the glass.  I like to see age in the glass - optical ribbing and strong pontils on the vases and good  Victorian/Edwardian gilding on the trays and trinkets. It is like a lot of things I suppose, just gut and lots of handling.

I've been lucky to sell some very nice Mary Gregory in the past.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand