No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whitefriars vase ?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline kazleeb

• Members
whitefriars vase ?
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:45:18 PM »
hi,lee got this today for £2,is real or has someone applied the sticker, red with clear bottom and sides,7inch tall 5ish across bottom,thanks kaz

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: whitefriars vase ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
Hello Kaz  -  forgive my ignorance (what I know about wfrs. you cud write on the back of a postage stamp)  -  is yours really 5 inches across at the bottom?  the proportions don't look right.      Oddly enough, I bought at a boot sale yesterday what I thought was an 'elephant foot vase'  -  but minus any label  -  and without a clear base.   It is amber throughout.   Had it been whitefriars I thought the base might have been ground flat, as for example in the Tricorn vases.   I don' think yours is  -  does that make a difference?  Actually, neither is mine, which had me worried.    Mine is about 7 inches tall, but only about 3.25 inches at the base, and has a good ground/polished and slightly bevelled top.    Do you know if wfrs. made any that were in a solid colour without a clear base??    cheers     Paul S.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
Kaz, I think it is, you can check by looking through the catalogues here at http://www.whitefriars.com/, look in 1960/70s catalogues first.

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »
Yep W/Fs .

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »

Definately Whitefriars, nice find!

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline Craigyboy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Hello Kaz  -  forgive my ignorance (what I know about wfrs. you cud write on the back of a postage stamp)  -  is yours really 5 inches across at the bottom?  the proportions don't look right.      Oddly enough, I bought at a boot sale yesterday what I thought was an 'elephant foot vase'  -  but minus any label  -  and without a clear base.   It is amber throughout.   Had it been whitefriars I thought the base might have been ground flat, as for example in the Tricorn vases.   I don' think yours is  -  does that make a difference?  Actually, neither is mine, which had me worried.    Mine is about 7 inches tall, but only about 3.25 inches at the base, and has a good ground/polished and slightly bevelled top.    Do you know if wfrs. made any that were in a solid colour without a clear base??    cheers     Paul S.

Paul, yours will be Gold Full Lead Crystal. That's why it's one colour. Those ones weren't cased in clear glass. These vases are one of the most common of Whitefriars vases. They are Pattern 9728, commonly known as Elephant's Foot vases as you say.

Craig

Offline kazleeb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
thanks everyone

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
sincere thanks Craig  -  appreciate your enlightening explanation.   I am learing  -  albeit very slowly.   cheers  Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand