No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: genuine royal lace depression??  (Read 783 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
genuine royal lace depression??
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »
I have some green plates in this pattern (which do fluoresce - so assume must be 1930 - 40) - and think this pink cookie jar is is also genuine because the impressions are very similar.   On the lid the pattern is really quite weak, but on the body is much bolder.    Reason for asking is that I believe there was a lot of reproduction material knocked out in the 80's.  18.5 cms tall and about 15 cms. at the widest.   The colour is fairly pale.  Pics. are a bit iffy  -  not any easy piece to reproduce clearly.   thanks for looking, and grateful for any replies.   Paul S. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: genuine royal lace depression??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »
had meant to say that there is in fact a fair amount of wear on the base  -  some reasonable age (whatever that might mean!)  -  and shud have included a pic. of the complete item  -  so here it is.   cheers        Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »
I would say it was probably OK. I can see why there is a US market for repros but no here in the UK, although the cookie jar in pink was reproduced. The colour looks good. It wouldn't surprise me if the repros aren't more sugary pink

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »
thanks and appreciate the 'probable confirmation'  -  in fact for some reason I don't see too much of this type of glass in my rounds of the boot sales or charity shops.  Perhaps they throw it away thinking it too modern, and of little value.      Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »
Actually, there's a surprising amount of US depression glass here in reality, considering much of it's production period was covered by Wartime. Royal Lace is usually found in green, in fact the bulk of Depression glass here is green, but in far fewer patterns than over the pond. There are, however, items found here that are scare over there. My OH found a trinket bowl for the Jeannette Floral (aka Poinsettia) dresser set for £1, it went home for over £80 excluding p&p. I suspect much of it has just been thrown out as Granny's old glass tea set as it wasn't Granny's "best china".

I haven't seen a cookie jar though, so it probably has a market here.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 06:48:48 PM »
Uhmmmmmmm.......with figures like what you are quoting, I can see the attraction of selling the occasional piece.   Think I only paid a two pounds for this, so there is room for some profit perhaps one day, if I do sell.   I will post one or two pieces of my U. purchases this weekend - you will like them.    Paul S.

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:55:04 PM »
A very helpful discussion board for depression glass can be found at chataboutdg.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand