No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etching/Engraving on a Stuart Crystal vase  (Read 1253 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Etching/Engraving on a Stuart Crystal vase
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:07:24 PM »
Hiya all, just a question about engraving or etching. I have seen a really nice Stuart Crystal goblet style vase about 12 inches in height (for £15). Sadly it has a dedication on it, whats worse is its from Middlesbrough FC to a company called Cleanaway for their sponsoring of a match in 1999. As a 'smoggie' myself I shouldnt feel annoyed but they have ruined a piece of crystal. Can the engraving be polished out without ruining the vase and would it be worth the cost ??  Puzzle is how the hell it ended up in a charity shop ??
Thanks. Pete
Pete. :-)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Etching/Engraving
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:13:50 AM »
 :o Leave it alone, it is a piece of social history, 100 years from now it will be cherished, so why not cherish it now... you probably would if it was dated 1899.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »
Even now it's worth something to a diehard Middlesborough collector, and it is probably unique, although the goblet form undoubtedly isn't. It probably ended up in a charity shop because someone at Cleanaway had a cleanout.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 04:48:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I do understand what you mean and I agree if it was 1899 I would be looking at it in a different way. I will get it and hang on to it for no reason other than I like it. It seems that Stuart crystal is not very highly thought of, I would appreciate knowing why just for the sake of knowing. I have said before I am new to all this and am willing to learn.    (At the moment most Boro fans are a bit touchy with us and N'castle going down and Sunderland staying up   :'()
Again , Thanks all.  Pete

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
Nothing wrong with Stuart Crystal, was not long ago that Whitefriars pieces were tossed in the 10p box outside the shop... and still did not sell.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
Thanks Frank. I do have it now and will hang on to it. Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia