No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: biscuit barrel or ice bucket in U. glass?? - ID = Sowerby Pandora  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
biscuit barrel or ice bucket in U. glass?? - ID = Sowerby Pandora
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
don't know whether the lady has sunk to her knees with the arrival of the latest gas bill - or is it something to do with whatever the contents of this piece wud have been.  Just can't think for the moment - is she reading something??    Is it a biscuit barrel  -  but they are usually round  -  or might it be an ice bucket.  I have tried some research, but didn't get very far.  Un-marked, and no other clue to origin really.    Reacts well to the U.V. torch.  Suppose, looking at the dress it is somewhere between 1920 and 1940.  Some reasonable wear to the base, but being a bit thick forgot to photo. The base is the usual matt flat rim (about 6mm wide).  Height is about 19.5 cms. and about 12.5 cms. wide.   Don't even know if its English.  I'm sure someone will tell me fairly quickly, and thanks for looking.   Paul S.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: biscuit barrel or ice bucket in U. glass??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »
Sowerby Pandora biscuit jar

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: biscuit barrel or ice bucket in U. glass?? - ID = Sowerby Pandora
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
thanks Roy  -  and I assume she is opening/closing 'Pandora's Box'??  -  any idea of approximate date?   Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:05:42 AM »
Late 1930s according to Sowerby Glass Vol. 2, (Stephen & Glen Thistlewood, CD Book), Paul.  Pattern 2544, can't read the size as the text is tiny on the catalogue but it's either 6" or 8" high. No colours given.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
thank you Anne.   Looking back at the measurements given in my original post  -  about 19.5 cms.  -  think this equates to about 7.3/4", so maybe I mis-read the ruler and it shud really be nearer 8".   It certainly isn't 6" tho, but then again perhaps this design was made in different sizes.  Must admit I prefer real books  -  assume you are saying this Sowerby information comes as a CD only, rather than a book with pages.   I always say I will stop buying U. glass because there is so much of it  -  and then I see something like this and succumb again.   cheers  Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »
Uranium green is one of the less common "Pandora" biscuit barrels and with partial frosting. I have yet to find a complete one at a reasonable price. I think you have a nice early one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand