No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: blue blown torpedo vase  (Read 659 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
blue blown torpedo vase
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »
Hello all,
This vase is about 9.5 inches tall and is a very nice quality slender blown vase. Very finely blown, one tiny bubble in it, I thought possibly 1950's? The base is identical to Skrdlovice pieces I have but the colour is not at all typical in my experience, except maybe for the dark blue andromeda as seen in Hi-Lo by Mark Hill. I wondered if anybody may possibly recognise the vase as more typically Italian or Scandinavian production?

bOBA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: blue blown torpedo vase
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:27:33 AM »
Robert:

I'm unable to suggest anything very positive for this vase. The blue seems a little bit too strong for mid-century Scandinavian glass, and most of the pieces were pretty hefty, with a significant amount of clear at the bottom. Holmegaard did make finer pieces but the blue is wrong and they're signed. If I had to pick a possible Scandinavian company, I'd suggest Aseda. However, as you say, the base doesn't seem like a Scandi.

I hope this will provoke somebody who knows more than me. Has Marcus or Jindrich seen this vase?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: blue blown torpedo vase
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Thanks David, for at least bumping this topic up! I am glad to hear your view, though neither of us seem any the wiser and I am glad you agree with the difficulty of the thing, it is certainly a strong blue and no clear at the bottom. The blue is distinctive and I thought it may have caught the eye of some GMB members. The base bizarrely would exactly suit some Czech pieces. Odd. Really finely blown to the the point of being symmetrically circular until two thirds up.... European though, I think you would agree, but from there it could be a bit of dust gathered before it becomes much more of a clear identification. Its simplicity in design probably doesn't help it much in shouting its origins! Thanks for the solidarity in head scratching....

bOBA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand