No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Chance/Fiesta cake stand.  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Possible Chance/Fiesta cake stand.
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
I see some of the Chance/Fiesta patterns quite commonly  -  this one I don't - assuming it is one of those.    What surprised me when I looked closely was that the transfer (or whatever means has been used) - is in fact on the top surface, rather than beneath, and my other pieces seem to have the transfer on the underside.  The patter has a very metallic look (gunmetal/antique pewter).     I didn't measure the diameter, but it wud seem to be fairly typical for similar cake stands.    Wud be grateful for confirmation of Chance/Fiesta, and a guide to date please and name of pattern.   thanks for looking.   Paul S. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Possible Chance/Fiesta cake stand.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
It's Woodland Silver from 1975 and designed by Sue Heaven for Chance. Not overly common. The metallic patterns were printed topside, everything else bottom side.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:25:29 PM »
Woodland Silver pattern,1973-5,Chance/Fiesta,according to the book,Keith

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:26:45 PM »
Damn,too slow,again!beat me to it!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »
my sincere thanks to both of you  -  very much appreciated.  Not so sure that I actually like it as much as the usual coloured patterns, however I will keep it.  Although the labels are missing, I do have the original box, which is a nice addtion to any plate.  I had actually refrained from buying the book, as I had (obviously mistakenly as I now realize) thought that a second edition was imminent.  I now understand that was is coming out will be a supplementary volume, so I shud buy the first one now!!   thanks again.    Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 06:42:36 AM »
Yes most definitely a supplement, but not ready yet (I know, I'll be editing it  ;D ). There never was going to be a second edition. There will be a second book about different aspects of Chance, but that is even further away from print than the supplement to the first book.

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »
Christine

You better get on with it then. We have been waiting and waiting! zzzzzzzzzzzz

Ming
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »
I'm not writing it!! I've got to wait for David before I can do anything

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
My ears are burning :[

Even as I sit here, I have just been adding more data about Orlak: currently the word count on this book is 8,700 – after editing probably 5,000 :) – but about one-fifth of the original, or approx. 30 pages. The problem is where to stop - rather hard when there are still a few unanswered questions, but I promise that Chance Additions will be the last on Chance domestic glassware and any further revelations will be published on the web site. I am also hoping to keep the cost of Additions down, as I expect it will be mainly purchased by existing owners of Chance Expressions.

The following book that Christine mentions, Chance Reflections, will be mammoth. It is expected to take two years merely to catalogue the archives held at Sandwell Library (500 boxes of papers, 400 ledgers), which I will have to wade through, sheet by sheet. I estimate my time will be three years. I have even promised to help Professors Michael Cable and William Brock with data on Georges Bontemps and Sir William Crookes respectively (which google) as and when I unearth it.

But I was indeed fortunate to find, and purchase this morning, a copy of A History of the Firm of Chance Brothers & Co. Glass and Alkali Manufacturers, by J.F. Chance, which was printed in 1919 and covers the first century (sort of) of the company. An invaluable aid.

After this I might write a book on the history of Birmingham Glassmakers, from 1762 to date. Due in 2024...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 08:52:31 PM »
 :kissy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk