No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large optic-moulded vase with a Finnish/Danish nationality crisis  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Large optic-moulded vase with a Finnish/Danish nationality crisis
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:45:26 AM »
I bought one of these vases bearing an old-style Holmegaard label, which was fine as the colour and finish is spot on for their production and Jacob Bang designed a few vases along these lines during the 1930s (see McConnell, pg.141 for similar)...

...but recently I've just acquired another - this time bearing a silver foil Nuutajärvi label (1952 - c.1972).

:huh:

This colour doesn't seem terribly common in Nuutajärvi production, but it does seem to have been used, and there are some Kaj Franck designs that are very very similar but sans optic-moulding (see McConnell, pg. 122 - although they were made larger than the size range stated there).

On to the vases... 30cm tall, 14.5cm in diameter, ground/polished rim, and a slightly indented moulded base, both with plenty of age-related wear. The ribbing is entirely internal except for the last two which protrude somewhat. The glass is fairly thin, but has a lot of weight.

So does anyone have any idea which factory produced it?

Thanks in advance (and please excuse any grubbiness - I've not got around to cleaning either of the vases)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large optic-moulded vase with a Finnish/Danish nationality crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Oh, just realised that I didn't post this in the Scandinavian section - perhaps it would fare better there.

If some kindly mod could move it, I'd be much obliged.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
Nic,
I seem to have missed this thread - I've never come across any Nuutajärvi with this type of horizontal optic moulding. Like you say they did do this quite bright, vibrant green, introduced late 1960s. If the label is silver foil on paper, square, sharp corners with dark blue fish logo and text then that was used c.1965 – 1973ish.
I did see a recent Krosno vase in a charity shop with a very similar shape, optic ribbing and a typical Krosno well ground / polished rim. It was very pale blue, a colour not dissimilar to Whitefriars Sapphire.

robbo
robbo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »
I've spotted a similarly-shaped vases out and about too, one bearing a generic Made In Sweden label. Optic-ribbed vases are such a nightmare!

However, I'm now near-certain that the Holmegaard label on my first vase is original, having had chance to compare the glass to a smaller JE Bang vase recently. The Nuutajärvi label on the second vase has been very convincingly reattached, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand