No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two blue glass lady figures looking for an ID? = Jobling  (Read 5396 times)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Two blue glass lady figures looking for an ID? = Jobling
« on: September 05, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
Hi everyone!
I have just bought these 2 blue glass lady figures.They are very stylish,quite tall and made of thick glass.They are looking up with arms by their sides holding some material to the back.I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the maker please? Many thanks Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Two blue glass lady figures looking for an ID?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »
Wow

a pair! Soooo rare

These are Jobling -no don't rush to the catalogues and books they are not in any of them.

However for the intrepid willing to go to source -the Sunderland Museum you will find one in their Jobling cabinet -supposedly they never went in to full production (hence not in the books) -they even fit in the same base as the 'lady with the urn and hair'

Well done

cheers

Mike

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
Hi Mike
Wow thats fab! Jobling? Do you know what bowl and frog they would have sat in? They are very attractive figures couldnt believe I managed to get a pair (would love them in frosted glass!)
Did they come in any other colours?
Many thanks for your kind info!

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
Like the 'greek lady'

Large size same colour Fircone or Flower pattern bowl (Tudor rose or Oyster will do) any of the 3 main shapes-ideally same colour base or jet (look in the reprinted cataloque)

I think the one in the museum was green frosted

I have pink and I've seen blue (so now I've seen 5 in 20+years)

So they probably did flint, blue, pink, green, amber -all frosted and clear -but as it never went into main production mabe some colours were never done.

Theoretically, as with the greek lady, they may have done opalique, pearl and/or Jet.

cheers

Mike

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »
Hi again
Thats great info Mike.I have a blue frosted frog that my blue frosted 'Greek lady' sits in.I have the green 'Greek lady' complete in green frosted and she is slightly different to my blue one(blue greek lady has a line of flowers down her back,green lady doesnt)
I find the frosted figures more attractive as you can see more of the detailing.I will certainly keep a lookout for a frosted version but as you say these are quite rare so probably not!
I have never seen the lady in opalique?
Many thanks Mike!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Two blue glass lady figures looking for an ID? = Jobling
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:09:33 AM »
Nige & Mike — See here.   This colour photograph shows three of these figurines in the Sunderland Museum collection.   It also shows another rarity — one of the Opalique Novelty boxes, which are fabulous multicoloured Deco creations.   The only other box I've seen is that owned by John Bell.

As for their date, we don't really know.   However there is a noticeable gap in the Jobling design record around 1937–1940, and this figurine, along with a couple of other possibilities, could help fill it.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
I think you've linked to the wrong message, there's only Roy's vases and one of Glen's pages - no colour photo from Sunderland

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
Hi Nige

I have two of these ladies as well - one blue and the other green. I tried to put them on the Jobling pine lady's flower holder but they don't fit in. Did you experiance the same problem with your ladies?

Cheers
Brenton

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:06 AM »
My blue one doesn't fit either type of Jobling flower block either. Comparing the base with that of my 2541, the difference is obvious - the sides of the bung type base of the 2541 have been ground, whereas on this figure, only the underside has been ground; the overall diameter of the base remains a little too large to fit without further grinding. It seems that these weren't finished for use in a block. That said, Black Poppy's site shows one of these figures as part of a centrepiece set, so it seems some at least were ground to fit: http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/Jobling/fs_84.jpg

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »
Steven
did you get my email last week about an amber vase I have seen that I think is Jobling?
Nige

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand