No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: i.d. for illegible etching name please. = MVM Cappellin  (Read 8954 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: i.d. for illegible etching name please. = MVM Cappellin
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »
my thanks again jp for your expertise and help  -  although do intend to keep my piece of Murano as have grown very fond of it.    However, cud be tempted to sell you my wife instead  -  comes with couple of camels and few sheep, but mother in law difficult to live with.    >:D ;) ;D   cheers  Paul S.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 04:40:55 PM »
Thanks to you guys I have managed to ID this candlestick (sadly damaged...missing one curly bit.. :'( ) Here are some pics.. This is why Glassmessages works so well ..... fab.  ! Thanks All !
Mike

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
Good lord Mike,  how on earth did you come across this thread which is 4 years old,  whatever did you put in the search engine????
You are right though, this is exactly why this Forum works so well. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
Hi Rosie,  ;)

I'm always concerned about a thread highjack, don't like to intrude , even after four years  ;D !

I thought it would be a good idea to tag this on the end rather than start a new thread because of the signature . I searched under Cappelli without the n on the end ...I might have added WVM as well ...I thought it was a W rather than an M !

I hope this might be an earlier  Vittorio Zecchin design dating from the 1920's perhaps , now having researched it a bit  :-[  !  ? It's the same sig. as Pauls and probably by the same designer and so both perhaps by Zecchin . It's such a shame about the damage  :(

Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
Some highjacking isn't really highjacking Mike, pulling threads together like this means that in many cases one confirms another, and makes things 'tidy'.

I think it is wonderful that you have such a lovely piece of glass (albeit a little damaged) and now know what the signature is and quite possibly the maker as well.
Pauls bowl is so delicate, and to think it was in a box of mixed glass tucked away in a bootfair lot of old heavy Pyrex glass, unscathed.

Nice finds for you both, and wonderful that Dirk was able to identify the signature and JP confirm it and even proffer a maker.

Happy days. :)
Rosie.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 01:15:02 AM »
Thanks Rosie ,

Paul's piece is superb and I can understand why he thought it could be Whitefriars at first glance .

Here are some examples of Vittorio Zecchin's designs, 170 odd infact, he was an Italian painter employed by Giacomo Cappellin as a designer . If you scroll down a bit and click on past auction results (view all) there are about 8 pages of his work to look through.....

http://www.artnet.com/artists/vittorio-zecchin/

My candlestick is soda glass (I think) and the signature is easy to miss, when I bought it I didn't even notice it , as its very small and neat.

Mike

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
Oooh!  They are beautiful Mike, thank you for giving that link....isn't that deep red the most amazing vibrant colour?  Please can I ask how soda glass differs from the norm....if any of this beautiful glass could ever be termed 'norm'?

And Paul,  I think halfway down page 4 is a bowl like yours.

If I were going to collect Italian glass vases and dishes, this would be the type I would want.

Superb!  I am set up for the day. Thank you.  :)
Rosie.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
Aren't they just  :D,

Armed with my glass dictionary I will have a go at a soda glass definition.....

Soda glass doesn't have any lead content so is much lighter and also more difficult to cut . 

The alkali is soda rather than potash . Soda glass also lacks resonance but remains plastic longer than glass made with potash so it is much easier to manipulate as in the case of Venetian glassware (facon de venise). This candlestick being a classic example.  Soda glass is slightly brownish , yellowish or greeny-grey . It also contains some lime and the basic proportions are 60% silica, 25% soda, & lime 15%...so it's often called soda-lime glass.  The soda itself is used as a flux and reduces the fusion point of the silica i.e. the glass can be produced at a lower temperature. Kelp was used as a source of soda in England.

Gosh, anyone would think I knew what I was talking about  ;)

Well spotted , there is definitely a piece that looks something like Paul's , perhaps without the trailing.  :)

Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »
Here is some of Vittorio Zecchin's art work...........

http://belindaschneider.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/vittorio-zecchin/

8)  Where's that Athena poster I once had  :)
Mike

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
Thank you for sharing that Mike, what an amazing artist he was.
I really will have to find a piece of his glass or a poster to have as an example of his lovely work.

When I first saw the beginning of those pictures,  I thought, 'Oh his work is very Klimt-like'... then reading on,  found out why!!

Fascinating reading on a very important artist and thanks again to both you and Paul's original post for bringing him to us. :)
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand