No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: i.d. for ugly black vase please - ID = Davidson 278 pattern  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
i.d. for ugly black vase please - ID = Davidson 278 pattern
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »
I do know that this is described as 'matt black glass', copying the Wedgwood 'basalt' pottery, but thats where my knowedge stops.   I know Davidson produced some matt black items between 1920 and 1940, but have the feeling this design looks possibly older.    Has a sort of funerial look  -  cud always have my ashes kept in here!
Regrettably, no marks or Nos., and needs a clean.    Think also this shud be a potential candidate for the years ugly vase award.   Cud it be Bagley or Molineaux, Webb?? and might it have originally had a flower frog??    Size 17 cms. tall and about 21.25 cms. at the widest.    Grateful for anyone's thoughts, and thanks for looking.   Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: i.d. for ugly black vase please
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »
It's not ugly and I think it should be on the general glass board, rather than assuming it's English. Strikes me as quite Art Deco

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
I wud agree with the possible Deco style  -   which puts it between 1925 (the Paris Exhibition and say 1939)  -  and yes, it is possible also that it is not English, but I had to start the post somewhere.     However, I still don't really like it, although oddly it is the first piece of matt black that I have found  -  maybe it cud grow on me.  Paul S.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »
100% Davidson & not ugly at all! This is Davidson's 278 pattern and I suspect black is quite rare, certainly this is the only black example I've ever seen. See Chris & Val Stewart's excellent cloudglass site for more images of this shape & its variants: http://cloudglass.com/Vases.htm

Steven

PS. Ankerglas Bernsdorf also made a very similar shape known as 'Evelyn' & shown on Pamela's site here: http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/03035.html  The main difference is in the moulded band imitating mitre cuts around the top of the vase - the Bernsdorf version has fewer, larger cuts and includes a short vertical cut between mitres, absent on the Davidson version.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
o.k. so its not ugly - I can take a hint ;)   I still don't use the web site for images enough - tend to look in the Davidson book.  So must change my ways.  As you say Steven, the Stewart's web site is truly excellent.    I do notice that they omit black as a colour for the 278, so wud seem to be very uncommon.  Anyway I shall now clean the piece and show it some tlc.    Judging by the rareness of the piece, I doubt that I wud ever find the missing black 'grid'.   My sincere thanks to Christine and Steven for their help.    Paul S.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »
Hi Paul,
I think the colours mentioned on the cloudglass site refer only to cloud colours, the vase would probably also have been produced in other,non-cloud colourways. This matt black glass is likely to be early, it was used in the twenties, but on the Stewarts' site it does state that by the 1930s black was only used for plinths & flower domes & was only again used on a wider range of styles from 1938: i.e. after this shape was apparently discontinued. (source: http://cloudglass.com/Davidsonbetweenwars.htm).

Steven

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:57:35 AM »
It also says black was introduced in 1922 and this vase was introduced in 1923, so that makes sense. I think most of the cloud ranges were produced in non-cloud colours, but not necessarily vice versa

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »
Hi,
    the production dates on the cloud glass web site refer to when they were made in cloud colours. I suspect that this vase dates from the mid 1950s when Davidson made quite a bit of matt black glass.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »
Appreciate your reply Chris  -  although surprised at your attribution to a later date than had been suggested (not doubting you of course).    Style certainly looks deco ish, and wud have thought that this not a fashionable look back in the mid 50's.    Also had considered that the apparent wear seemed to indicate something earlier  -  you know how you get that feeling that something has been around for a reasonable time.    Anyway, will tag it to mid 50's, and perhaps may now find my grid.    thanks again.     Paul S.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: i.d. for ugly black vase please - ID = Davidson 278 pattern
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 07:33:24 AM »
Paul — 278 / Evelyn may be "ugly", but this style gets my vote for the best flower vase ever made.   We have a small collection, which, together with those I had then in stock, we used very successfully for my daughter's wedding reception.   You just plonk the flowers in the holder and they look great!

I've never seen a 278 in black, matt or polished.   The advantage of yours is that it would look OK with a clear flint Premier Flower Support.

Nice find.

Bernard C.  8) 
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand