No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another bowl!  (Read 2427 times)

Offline CEH

• Members
Another bowl!
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
Hi again

Here is another bowl.  This was given to me some years ago.  I have no ideas about what it is but I am pretty sure that there will be someone here who can help!

Cheers

Christine

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Another bowl!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »
Hello,

The bowl appears to be a piece of Murano, Italian glass. Anita may come along and be able to add more. I must say that the use of the canes, and the fact they are not "stretched" in the glass as usual is a little different from any that I can recall seeing before.  The  circle of aventurine is also a little different.....

It is a nice, and unique looking piece of Murano glass.... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:30 AM »
Craig:

It does look a little different, doesn't it. I don't think it's aventurine, rather a very thin metallic or mica sheet picked up by the parison. It's unusual for Murano in that the sheet and the murrines have not been stretched when the piece was blown. It makes me think it might be a copy of Murano from elsewhere. I don't think the price difference between Murano and version made elsewhere would be that great in this case. I'd also be interested in what Anita says.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:55:28 AM »
Christine,

Is the underside of the piece polished, or is it a matte or flat finish....?? I can not really tell from the image. Also, can we get a closeup of the silver in the interior.

David, The inclusions appear to me to be broken foil. It can be tough to tell sometimes in an image though....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:08:01 AM »
Craig: Yes, broken foil is a good way of describing it. We're describing the same technique. Good question re the bottom. That should tell us something useful.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:26:44 AM »
Craig:
 rather a very thin metallic or mica sheet picked up by the parison. It's unusual for Murano in that the sheet and the murrines have not been stretched when the piece was blown.
David

I think it is silver leaf, and the silver has been stretched while blown. So have the murrine, but not much. This is because they are in the base rather than around the sides and the weight has been kept in the base. If you examine it, it is likely that the glass in the bottom of the piece will probably be considerably thicker than at the edges. Can't tell too much from an image, but... :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:34:24 AM »
I would say it's Murano. It's a classic Murano form and comes in many decorative variations. The base also looks shiny to me. You could actually just collect this form and end up with shelves of different patterns and colours. Unfortunately we've never found a maker for any of them.

Offline CEH

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
Hi

Great information so far - big thank you to everyone. This forum is really good - and so helpful! :)

The base is flat but smooth and polished.  There is some wear but no marks at all.

Here are a couple more pics:-

Cheers

Christine

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
Hi,

I just wanted to chime in about your lovely bowl.  Since the canes are not stretched tells me that it is quality.  I am guessing that your bowl is a Fratelli Toso bowl.  Fratelli Toso mastered the art of the use of canes and seeing the canes not stretched gives some clue.  Also I have seen the white underneath a lot of their pieces with the clear support handles (not sure if that is the right terminology, but used it for a lack of better words).  I have seen that type of clear glass on bases on some starry night pieces.  I have also seen a lot of their 1950's pieces have the white bottom.  I have one also with a white bottom as well but your is much prettier than mine.

I too would like to see what Anita says since she knows Fratelli Toso.  They made a lot of console bowls in the 1950's. 

I could be totally wrong but that is just my opinion.

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
There's not really a lot more I can add. I saw the original message when it first came out, then lost it somewhere. I also think that it is most likely FT for the reasons that Tami mentioned. The base and murrines look like FT. I'd feel a lot more sure if there was a label, but...

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand