No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Bagley U. vase for i.d. - ID = Jobling fircone vase  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Bagley U. vase for i.d. - ID = Jobling fircone vase
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
have tried to find this one, but no luck, and think the pattern seems to be pineapples, but not sure.    I'm thinking Bagley, especially with the frosting, and no marks that I can see.  24 cms. tall, and about 14 cms. at the widest.   It does glow well under the torch.   Wud be very grateful for an attribution, and a date if possible, and thanks for looking.    Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: possible Bagley U. vase for i.d.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »
Definitely not Bagley. Bagley uranium almost has a bluish tinge to the green rather than a yellow one. The pattern looks like Jobling fircone, but I've never it on a vase. The colour is right though

Online Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:50:42 PM »
Hi Paul,

This vase is by Jobling of Sunderland. The pattern is a variant of the 'fir cone' design featured on bowls & plates & registered by Jobling in 1932. The vase is quite rare & doesn't appear in Jobling catalogues, though it is shown in an advert in the Pottery Gazette in September 1933.

I don't think it's yet known why the vase isn't featured in the catalogues. It may have been discontinued before 1934 when the first Art Glass catalogue was published or was possibly produced exclusively for a specific customer. To date I've seen the pattern is opalique, amber satin, blue satin and Uranium green satin glass.

See this thread here for more discussion on the pattern: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8184.0.html
also here for another opalique example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28233734@N00/2679688574/

Steven

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
you guys really are good - thanks to both of you  -  no wonder I couldn't find it.   Looking again, yes they do look more like fir cones, and beside them are what appear to be pine needles, perhaps.   Certainly not ugly, I really like it  -   trouble is, I don't know where to put all this U. glass!!   It wasn't an easy piece to photograph, I think the camera has a problem with focusing at the surface level on frosted u. glass.    Steve I will look at the sites you have posted as soon as possible, as this evening I am filling up a new cabinet that I have just managed to get into the house.    cheers    Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: possible Bagley U. vase for i.d. - ID = Jobling fircone vase
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:47:44 AM »
Boxes on the tops of wardrobes are always good, well they are in our house, cos there's no room anywhere else  :24: :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand