No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: fingerbowl ID?  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
fingerbowl ID?
« on: October 21, 2005, 10:17:14 AM »
http://tinypic.com/ess3rp.jpg

Set of five finger bowls, square base, 4 vertical ribs. Perfectly polished bottom and rim. Maybe lower end lead crystal or semicrystal - does not ring as loudly as the shape suggests. Looks a bit German to me.
Any suggestions for further research?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 03:48:44 PM »
Ivo, how about Scandinavia? Finger bowls are essential there! (Flusskrebse! crayfish!)
 :D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 06:50:22 PM »
a perfectly polished base also sounds swedish - remembers me of 'difficulties' between Murano and Sweden... :?:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 07:55:17 PM »
that is a very good suggestion - I had no idea that fingerbowls were essential up north, I seem to associate them mostly with bürgerliche Tischkultur - monogrammed napkins, damast tablecloths, monogrammed forks, knife rests - I only play that game on special occasions nowadays.  
The quality is impeccable, and I agree - they might well be Swedish.  So I checked: the bottom finish is the same as on my Rondo glasses from Kosta and  the colour is a near match.   :D  :D  :D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 07:58:15 PM »
Finger bowls were also an essential part of any formal dinner at least until the 1950's in the UK. My gran had glass ones and mother had china.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 08:28:01 PM »
Frank, but had they crayfish in a formal dinner? I do not know whether you know what I know about crayfish parties  8)
Pamela

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 08:29:03 PM »
tmaritta! help please?!
Pamela

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 08:54:47 PM »
Frank, but do they have crayfish in formal dinner's? I do not know whether you know what I know about crayfish parties.

Or

Frank, but have they got crayfish in formal dinner's? I do not know whether you know what I know about crayfish parties

Is that what you mean't Pamela?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 09:23:39 PM »
Ivo, returning to your quest on finger bowls: best wishes and good luck on your investigating - loved to read the outcome!
Pamela

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
fingerbowl ID?
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 10:32:52 AM »
I did not even know that people ate crayfish in the days of finger-bowls at home. The mind boggles (a colloquial term for extreme curiosity) at what customs prevail at your crayfish parties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand