No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: small ribbed vase murano?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline lmj

• Members
small ribbed vase murano?
« on: September 11, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »
this vase is 14cm high 5cm at its widest with 3 ribs running vertical and a smooth bottom,could it be murano.lynn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: small ribbed vase.murano?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
Hello, the shape and size of the vase, as far as I can tell from the pic, appears to be quite similar to the piece discussed in this thread:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27620.0.html

You may want to take a look..... The vase in that thread is different colors, and has 4 slightly larger ribs and not 3, but overall looks to possibly be the same house.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
Hi there
looks similar to some of the Zelezny brod (czech) pieces               
michelle

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »
The vase looks like the rim is ground in the picture. If it is, it probably isn't Murano. Ground rims are not common for Murano Glass, with some notable exceptions by companies such as Aureliano Toso. If the rim is ground, I would suspect Czech, so Michelle might be in the right area with her message.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: small ribbed vase murano?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »
Although ground rims and mouths are not common on Italian glass, I would not look away from Italian too quickly based on that. Many of the bud type and teardrop stle vases by Italian houses have ground mouths due to the extreme difficulty to create a very small opening in a non ground piece. I also have at least one piece which I am fairly sure is a Cenedese ashtray with a ground upper rim, and it is not small at all. In commenting on the other piece I posted in a similar shape, Marcus did note that at one time he had a similar piece with a Galliano Ferro label

I also saw a vase in similar colors to my vase on ebay, no fins, but the Galliano Ferro label and a ground mouth.

Additionally, there is a teardrop Cenedese vase with a label on ebay right now that has a ground mouth and flat ground and polished base....

I would have to say that my observation would be that many of the small mouthed teardrop style pieces have ground rims.....  It is far less common with other Italian pieces....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline lmj

• Members
Re: small ribbed vase murano?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 07:58:07 AM »
Thank you Michelle, Tx, craig i now know how better to describe the vase IE teardrop and fins not ribs ! the base is ground and polished,i dont know if that changes things..Lynn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand