No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Definitely Chinese  (Read 31241 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« on: October 21, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »
There has been some discussion about Chinese glass and it often crops up in identifiaction.

The Chinese makers have imitated styles of glass more usually associated with other countries. Inexperienced (& experienced) collectors often buy glass which they think is one thing but turns out to be something different - often Chinese.

Some Chinese glass is not very good quality but we have noted here that the quality is rapidly improving and can now fool even experienced collectors. There are now some signs of skill and some interesting originality.

I have collaberated with Terry on a small project to show some glass which we know is Chinese (labelled as such) so that collectors can get some idea of what is "out there" and learn some of the features of new and contemporary Chinese Glass.  

We feel that there is nothing wrong with buying and collecting Chinese glass but that collectors should know what they are buying and how it differs from the glass produced elsewhere.

It's my first attempt at a web site so not sophisticated and uses free-hosting so is quite limited (ie the pages are very limited in length).

I learned today from another member posting here that allowable bandwith to free geocities sites is very limited so I apologise in advance if it fails to load ....please try later. If it becomes a serious problem I shall look into moving it elsewhere sooner rather than later.
Enjoy

http://www.geocities.com/muscadale/
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 08:02:26 PM »
Nice selection, I recognise at least half the models from our local Chinese giftware store. The quality of the Chinese production is currently amazing, and prices are unbeatable.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 05:19:24 AM »
Peter, is this Chinese too? Not the one on the left , that is my reference one, which I think is a genuine 'Snowflakes' vase. The one on the right is squatter in shape, the casing is crude [in creases under the rim], the neck and rim slightly less refined, the 'handles' are less elegant and the bases are different. Is the one with the 'Snowflakes' label not?  
Cheers Ruth  
http://tinypic.com/etekxz.jpg
http://tinypic.com/etelc2.jpg

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 09:06:30 AM »
The one with the fold-over rim (blaue speckled black) is actually ovoid or "flattened". I'm guessing that when it was just about finished, they reheated the whole piece (except for the base) and used paddles to squash it ....hence the rim.  So, it's a quirky piece all round and I like it because of that and if asked to ID it I would be stumped.

As to your two pieces Ruth, please understand that I am not an expert on Chinese glass and am learning along with everyone else. Also, all these pieces are Terry's so I haven't had the opportunity of handling them myself.

I have seen some labeled Chinese glass in a smart "design" shop in Hay's Galleria the old tea clipper wharf on the south bank. The quality of that stuff was stunning to me. Faced with it, without labels, I would swear it was Scandinavian and try as I might I coiuld not fault the quality. I must go back and buy some, when I can, to add to the site.  

However, sticking my neck out here, I would say that there are enough similarities between these your two vases to say that they were came from the same place, and I would guess Chinese. I don't think you can read too much into relatively small differences in quality.
What does the label say ?
Your refs to Snowflake are also lost on me.  Sorry !
Pete

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 11:53:36 AM »
Hi Ruth, Pina in her book "Fifties glass" shows Snowflake vases in red. I guess we must remember that the Chinese not only copy others, they copy themselves. It would not surprise me that both vases are Snowflake, the red an earlier example. This of course is just IMHO. I actually like the multicolored one better, more free and fun in spirit while the red seems more formal. Terry

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 01:18:54 PM »
Thanks Terry
Page 143 in my edition and a close up of the label on p178.
It certainly looks exactly like those Ruth so I would say yes a genuine Snowflake !
The label is black on gold with a central double circle, a Snowflake design in the middle, chinese characters around the top half and the word "Snowflakes" in the bottom half ; "Made in China" to the left of the circle and I presume the same in Chinese to the right ...all that in gold.
Hopefully that will help you to compare with the label on the right hand vase.
Pete

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 01:44:07 PM »
Great site, Peter. It was fascinating to look around.

And did you know that the Chinese also made Carnival Glass?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 02:23:33 PM »
Peter, you already know I like both the site and the idea behind it, so I won't add more.  :) 

I will, however, add my Chinese bowl to the pile
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-25

It is red cased clear, very heavy, a  nice piece which may be mistaken for something else without its label.  I know this is Chinese as it has its label which says Sixtrees London New York Crafted in Taiwan

http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-604
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 01:42:29 AM »
Thankyou Terry and Peter, I much prefer the red one myself, so when I've peered at the others and photographed them they can go, along with heaps of others.
The label is black and silver only and half is missing. It has a stylised snowflake in the centre, surrounded by two circles and within the circles is 'Snowflakes'. The label looks to have been a squashed hexagonal shape.
I shall look out for Pina's fifties glass book, it sounds to be very useful.
Cheers Ruth

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 04:51:15 AM »
Ruth, can I trouble you for a photo of the label for the gallery please? One large enough to see clearly and read all the details if possible. Thank you. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand