No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Definitely Chinese  (Read 31240 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 03:42:21 PM »
I seem to remember that it was me a while back who advised Forest that his somber dark blue solid colour and shape were specific for Zwiesel in the sixties, and I don't see a similarity with the Chinese clear cased cobalt blue one - other than the shape...

Anonymous

Definitely Chinese
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 05:14:15 PM »
Some links to Chinese/Oriental modern art glass manufacturers selling online

http://hotproducts.alibaba.com/manufacturers-exporters/Glass_Vases.html

http://www.chinasuppliers.globalsources.com/cn-suppliers/Art-Glass-Vase.htm

Note Dalian as being one of the biggest manufacturers of art glass – it would seem from the link below, if I have my sources right that they have a finger in many a pie

http://www.cbw.com/business/usco-ne/dalian.html

Anonymous

Definitely Chinese
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 08:28:56 PM »
Opinions please as to whether it is sufficiently similar to warn the webmaster of this site
http://ginforsodditiques.com/zwiesel.html

I think that Chinese companies have directly copied other forms, and still are that it may be a bit rash to report to the webmaster - I know the guys that run this site and they have helped me a lot with my WG Pottery, they really good researchers and I can't see them purposefully trying to sell a copy

I have learned from the Dalian / Nason copies that the Chinese are capable of just lifting whole design ranges from companies especially if the design copyright has run out as it has on so much retro glass - like with the Dalian / Nason copies (see Murano thread), I think Ginfors' is a darker glass of better quality as Ivo indicates - ultimate proof would be seeing the base of the Chinese vase as Ginfors shows us theirs very clearly

I do think that some modern Chinese art glass is of good quality and design for the price asked as Ivo has pointed out, but there is also a lot of plagiarism

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 12:43:33 PM »
Thank you Annes, Ivo & guest.
Your comments noted and no action taken.
I do know that Forrest Poston takes all reasonable measures to identify his items accurately and did not mean to infer any complicity on his part.

I finally managed to replace the rather fuzzy pic of the Chinese one (Java hitch) with this  taken head on
plus added comments.
Sorry for making you squint Anne.

Thank you for the links, guest. ...very interesting.

Copying
Proving that a certain design is copied from another must be a nightmare not to mention the cost of defending registered designs. I did not know that there was such a thing as a design copyright. How does it work ? Which body does the registration ?
I have worded this topic a little more sensitively on the site...erring on the side of benefit-of-doubt.
It's instructive to remember that in the glass world generally where copiers went on to develop and improve upon a design or design concept we talk of "influences".
Here there are small differences in shape plus obviously the casing, which is why I asked the question. However I do find the similarity of shape suspicious, yet there would need to be more similarities than shape alone to be considered a copy I guess.

The color is difficult to compare beause of different lighting conditions and different color of background, but yes I agree that from the photos they do NOT seem to be the same shade.

The quality of the glass does seem different although I don't feel able to judge which is better by sight alone. Ivo does not comment on quality at all.
Pete

Anonymous

Definitely Chinese
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »
Designs of any sort can be copyrighted – it usually lasts for a period of 25 years so many of 1970s designs can actually be outright copies if the modern company is capable of it (which it usually isn't). I have been at the sharp end of this as a designer myself when I had to take a company to court for breaking copyright on a surface pattern design I did

Here is a link (it is to a company that explains the copyright law and is in no way meant to advertise that particular company)

I am less sure about the renewal of design copyright; I think it is in the link below in one of the long legal documents

http://www.jenkins-ip.com/patlaw/introdes.htm

This is of course UK design law; I forget it may differ in other countries

I agree that companies or individual glass makers can often be seen as being influenced rather than copying older glass - they still have to watch if it's within the 25 year limit though, I am sure modern Daum or Lalique would be quick to act on the closest similarity to one of there exclusive items

With retro glass on a high at the moment more companies in Poland and China are being tempted to create items with the very strong influence of Whitefriars, Riihimaen or Holmegaard. I think sometimes they copy outright if there is a market, the item in question could be a case in point

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »
Chinese surprises continue. I have had this vase quite awhile and assumed it was either murano or czech.

Imagine my total surprise when I went to one of my favorite haunts for glass and saw another one at a very cheap price. I picked it up and lo and behold there was a lable.  "Made in China  Teleflora"  My first reaction was **** its chinese and my next was what kind of Floral arrangement could possibly be conceived using it. Of course its heavy, so it won't tip over and with those wings, you can easily pick it up and move it. The ever practical, I guess. So another chinese piece to add to the list. Terry

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2006, 11:31:02 PM »
Hi Peter,

Have just been to look at your site and I think it's both useful and scary.............from the photograph the flamingo looks stunning and I could easily take a flyer (sorry) on it if I saw it at a fair without a label.

We're always hearing experts tell us to only buy what we like.............but that's easier said than done when it comes to glass as I don't think I've met a piece of glass yet that I didn't like!  

So I'm trying to gain some measure of "expertise" and I think the thing that would be most useful would be if there was a website where we could see more bottoms.  The pictures of the snowflake vases are a good example - side by side there wasn't much between them, but the bottoms did look to be slightly different.

I have quite a few pieces unsigned but with distinctive bottoms, and I'd love to know where I could go to see some more for comparison.  Would you consider a second website??

Thanks again for putting the information out there.
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2006, 09:27:46 AM »
Chinese site, a bit slow even on Broadband though
http://www.cnexpot.com/index.html

I saw something similar to this the other day
link

The one I saw was clear with gold inclusions in the bottom half. It had a polished pontil and it was nicely made. It also had a "Made In Taiwan" sticker on the base.  :shock:

There are others on ebay with Murano stickers, I can only presume that the sticker on the one I saw was stuck on by mistake or they are making these in Taiwan as well.  :?

Just spotted a Monart or Vasart vase described as Chinese in the completed listing, doh.  :roll:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Definitely Chinese
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 09:22:41 AM »
The geocities links for Peter's pictures of chinese glass don't work anymore - does anyone know if the site has been moved to a new host?

Thanks
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
Re: Definitely Chinese
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 09:50:01 PM »
HI

I am not sure if my fellow members were made aware of the seizure of Chinese Glass in Murano around June of 2010.  The Carbinieri seized over 16 Million USD worth of imported Chinese Glass being sold as genuine Murano by one unscrupulous showroom.  These were mainly smaller items such as Jewelry etc totalling over 11 Million individual pieces, but they had authentic Murano labels applied and were dispersed in and among the genuine Murano items in a deliberate attempt to deceive.  It just goes to show that if you aren't sure, then ask the question and request evidence of authtenticity

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand