No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with info. on flint Daum vase.  (Read 2191 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: help with info. on flint Daum vase.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
Interesting, a quid you say? So, not done recently to deceive that's for sure. As you ask Paul, why would it have been done during the history of the vase?

Not the first time this dilemma has been addressed, but on the face of it, it does suggest that all is well ..................anyone????

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 01:04:28 AM »
... Unless it was done recently to deceive, but the buyer gave it to charity in disgust after realising the rip off?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:20:27 AM »
This is why I suggested some thought about the glass - and not just concentrating on the signature. There are any number of scenarios that could explain why it is, or is not, Daum via the way this thread is going, especially if we look at an inscribed signature under a microscope as it were.

So, this fraudster signs the bit of glass, is disgusted with him/her self and has a fit of regret - then puts it into the system anyway?? They give it to charity and it's sold for £1.00 at a boot fair. Whilst not impossible, it stretches the point somewhat. (Paul's implication is that is was bought at a boot fair). Sorry Cathy, I don't buy it I'm afraid :o

Sometimes, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.........

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
thanks to both of you for your continued interest, and speculation, and I do like Nigel's contention that the fraudster might have been of either sex.  It's time that women shared the blame >:D    But joking aside, there is perhaps a valid point in considering whether or not there is any point in someone copying something that doesn't exist in the first place, i.e. there wouldn't be a market for the articles you are faking.    Copy a Drunken Bricklayer or a James Powell goblet perhaps, and you may well get takers  -  but if Daum have never produced these 'free form' sort of vases in flint, then almost certainly you wouldn't have any collectors to deceive.  Yes, it was a boot sale Nigel - my favourite one,  ssshhhh.  ;)  Now I must go out and find a footed baluster shaped vase by Henri Berge.  ;D cheers  Paul S.   

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »
In a Daum piece (Michel Daum, 50s/60s) I would expect the sig to be applied in very small lettering around the side of the rim and to read Daum France. But the sig itself is in the correct handwriting, although far too large. So it may look like a duck and make a sort of correct quacking sound, it would not be the first piece of unsigned Sèvres to turn up disguised as a duck.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »
It could be that somebody bought the "swan" from the (who produces swans in this world), and then realized that it was really a duck.  :spls: The duck owner then gave said duck to the charity/boot salesperson, who sold (hopefully unknowing) the duck as a swan to the GMB member. (Good heavens, this analogy is getting complicated  :o )

Carolyn  :chky:

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
Now that, is a very fair comment Ivo, although I would say currently the two types of crystal have similar values - certainly over here.

Nigel

PS. Carolyn, I think that analogy is getting beyond me!!

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
What are the dimensions? Is it about 4''tall?
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »
dear aa  -  If you read back in the thread, I had already given the size  -  19 cms. tall  x  15 cms. at the widest, with a weight of 1.6 kgs.   I have in fact used Brasso on a polishing mop in the Bosch this evening, and removed 90% of the water staining.   cheers   Paul S.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »
Paul:  Way off topic, but....  Can you tell us more about "Brasso on a polishing mop in the Bosch?"

Thanks.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand