No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monica Bratt for Reijmyre?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Monica Bratt for Reijmyre?
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »
Having spent a fair while hitting the books, browsing the board and turning over Google's offerings I can't find any exact matches to my vase - but stylistically Bratt seems the best contender for designer. Am I way off the mark?

Apologies for the dreadful photograph - my camera seems to have a special dislike for ruby-coloured glass without a proper lighting set-up.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Monica Bratt for Reijmyre?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
Oops, forgot to add a close-up of the label, if that helps for dating purposes. I've not managed to find another like this online, nor in any of my books.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »
Your vase looks good enough to eat, yummy.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »
It is rather fruity, isn't it?  ;D

Offline Breezy Babe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:13:06 PM »
I have just today bought an identical piece , with label still attached... and can confirm that it is by Monica Bratt. My label is slightly different to yours and actually has her name on it. :thup:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
Most excellent. Thank you very much.

Now the task of putting a date to the design!

I did, though, get around to photographing the vase properly, better-illustrating the deep ruby red colour...

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 06:10:03 AM »
Now the task of putting a date to the design!

Seeing she worked at Reijmyre from '37 to '58 this is quite a narrow slot, especially if you know the red glass craze was essentially from the fifties - the other participants being WMF and Whitefriar's.  Some Bratt pieces have square gold foil labels with her name on it - these may have been issued after her untimely death. The oval one on yours I would suspect are from the time she was artistic director.

Offline Breezy Babe

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 11:08:11 PM »
Date ..... red glass is made using gold. I know that Whitefriars glass was not produced in red during the period 1939-45 because of WW2 and the obvious restriction in the use of all metals including gold.
I would guess then that this vase is post war bringing it into a 13 year slot of 1945-1958.
Given the very funky design I would again make a guess of it being a 1950's piece rather than a late 40's piece.

Guess work only though  ::)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 06:12:44 AM »
Date ..... red glass is made using gold.

Sorry this is a misconception. Modern red glass uses Selenium. Ruby flash uses copper. Cranberry and ruby red used gold.

Offline Breezy Babe

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »
Sorry just what I had read in published literature with regards to various Whitefriars lines not being introuced in Ruby until after 1945.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand