No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ORLAK at last-(Chance Orlak)  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
ORLAK at last-(Chance Orlak)
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »
Here are my first found Orlak after so long searching for it. Two Orlak tumblers in ex. condition. Look like l have good run recently with all these Chances.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/courtoak/SDC10450.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/courtoak/SDC10455.jpg

Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: ORLAK at last-(Chance Orlak)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
Oh well done Ming!  :hiclp:

Could you possibly add those photos using our attachment button under the Reply box please (just reply to this and add the photos)?  Then we've got those photos on here forever, rather just until the photobucket link stops working, which is good news for anyone searching for Orlak in the future!  :D

I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
Only the 3rd and 4th I have seen! I recently got one, except in a dinky bakelite holder with handle, and metal spring clips to hold it firmly in place. Has the proper Orlak logo impressed on the base of the holder, which now confirms my suspicions that the tumbler is definitely, 100% Chance (prev. a little doubt in my mind, as mentioned in the book).

These tumblers are quite light and thin, mould-blown affairs, so it is amazing that any survived from the early 1930s! Possibly made in Hysil (borosilicate glass) although I have no way of telling for certain. Put a bunsen burner under one to find out? >:D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:41:44 PM »
There can,t be many of these Orlak tumblers left. I don,t think they had sold great number of these as these must be much more expensive(optical effect of the glass mean more costly mould) to produce at that time than those cheap Pall Mall thin tumblers you still find at a lot of charity shops.

Last week l bought a 1920's Pyrex tumbler similar size to Orlak but with straight side and flared rim. I did not know they made tumblers as well.
Never walk away from a bargain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand