No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vases and Paperweights  (Read 15841 times)

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: Vases and Paperweights
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:54:20 AM »
Kevin and Frank - Good News. I've found the poster and he has been reminded to provide a picture. Please see this thread on another chat board for the full story of how I found him.
http://apoliticalparty.org.uk/GavinCorder/viewtopic.php?p=9930#9930
Do we have a good close-up photographer in the Dunkeld area?

I always found it puzzling that the first post was by "henryhallsdanceband" and the others were "anonymous" and the "anonymous" said he was the poster. I finally thought that maybe the "henryhallsdanceband" was his user ID from another spot that he had used without thinking about it. So I did a google search and found the user ID on the other chat board. And the rest of the story is in the thread cited above.

I really want that picture for the signature cane book - if it truly exists.

Andy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »
Working on it Andy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 08:24:47 PM »
Henryhallsdanceband appears to live in Surrey and had this to say on the other board:
"Hi addg - unfortunately I'm 500 miles from the paperweight and my mother doesn't have a digital camera - however I shall see if she can get someone to take a picture and mail it to me. It may take me a wee while to get this sorted out so don't hold your breath in anticipation."

If we can get a reliable person in the area to take the photos we may be better off from both a timing, number of pictures, and quality of pictures standpoint.

Andy

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »
Here's what he had to say on the other board:

"Things are a-movin' on the paperweight front. My mother is going to speak with her neighbour - he's very nice, in his 30s, and a lawyer she'd have you all know, to see if he can capture the now legendary signature on one of the canes (see what you can learn here) and Email it to me.

Clever thinks paperweights BTW. Never understood how they were made. Used to gaze for - oh minutes - at the thing wondering..."

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 02:07:31 PM »
to henryhallsdanceband:

Watch what you say about lawyers - some of us here are lawyers too. They're good people, especially if they'll take the photographs for us.

If we could put in our wish list of photos:
-a detailed close-up of the cane
-a straight down shot of the entire paperweight top
-an oblique view of the entire bottom of the paperweight

Frank, Anne or Kevin can you think of anything else?

Andy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
Those three basics views will do fine for starters. If the "Monart" cane cannot be photographed on its own too easily, then a general shot of it and the surrounding canes (keeping everythging in focus, of course) will be ok.

Alternatively, and rather than send the weight to the US ... just send it down to me in England and I will happily look at it and take all the photos we could ever need. Or ... if the general photos show it to be definitely "Monart" in a cane, I could be easily tempted to travel to Glasgow to get very detailed pics.
KevinH

Offline henryhallsdanceband

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 11:14:56 PM »
Hurrah

Thanks Frank

Now on Board (sorry)

I did quiz my mum a bit about the signature and she's pretty sure that it is - she knew them pretty well - (Mondart and Vasart I think).  If you're interested maybe I can get her to write a bit about them and I'll post it here.

HHDB

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »
henryhallsdanceband

If the paperweight has the "Monart" signature cane it will be very important from an historical standpoint, and recording your mum's oral history about it will be very important to do. She may also have letters or pictures of the Ysart family fishing and the like that she would be willing to share?

Andy

Offline henryhallsdanceband

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 09:08:55 PM »
Hello there Frank, addg et al

We shall see.

I'm not much of a 'glass chap' but, quite seperately from the Monart connection, I have relatives that worked in both the glass factory in Crieff (Strathearn Glass?) and Caithness Glass - so strangely without trying at all I seem to have quite a lot of 'Scottish Glass' connections.

My only previous glass encounter was when I lived in Bristol.  My dad (a cabintmaker) made a new (inside front) door for our Victorian terrace house and we bought some Bristol glass from a glass maker on Redland Hill. Absolutely beautiful blue (of course) red, yellow and green glass.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
HHDB..

How's your Mum doing with the next door neighbor lawyer with the digital camera?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand