No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Did Murano artist make weights with U.S. states featured?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
Did Murano artist make weights with U.S. states featured?
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have a pic. Perhaps I'll swing by today and snap one with the cell phone.

Anyway, I was in a local antique shop yesterday and saw a millefiori weight with a star (I think) and the word "Texas" in the center. At first glance, while I wasn't terribly impressed, it certainly wasn't a cheap souvenir shop type weight. I do remember, though, that it feature some bullseye-tube and multi-tube canes. Based on the color palette and the overall look, I simply mentally tagged it as a Murano and moved on.

Well, as the day wore on, the more unusual it seemed that an Italian weight would include "Texas". While it didn't seem like a "Chinese Murano", that would actually make more sense. Then last night, I was thinking that Texas gained statehood in the mid-1800s, and NEGC and B&S were making a lot of weights about that time and often used tube canes. Hmmm...

Has anyone seem a similar weight?

Again, if I can, I'll try to get a snapshot of it later today.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Did Murano artist make weights with U.S. states featured?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »
I can't really help with this weight without a pic, but as far as Murano go - on Murano have been produced paperweights with sulphides of famous americans,
french souvenir paperweights (a common one with a hot air baloon is often seen on eBay).

I have one with the Eiffel tower and Paris written on it which is definately Murano.
This may be a comissioned series for a US buyer.

So the paperweight may well have been made in Murano.
I can't recall offhand having seen any NEGC or Sandwich weights with bullseye canes (ie circles within circles), but I haven't seen that many ;)
The color palette of antique US weights is more akin to French and antique Bohemian than Murano imho.

A pic would be great tho.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »
I saw a concentric millefiori paperweight a couple of years ago that had Texas. I don't recall exactly what the weight looked like, but I remember thinking that it looked like Fratelli Toso. I read that these paperweights were sold as souvenirs in tourist stops. I thought at the time that they may have been commissioned from Fratelli Toso. Hope you can take a picture for the group.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:24:04 AM »
Perhaps this?

Definitely Murano circa 1950-70's

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 02:46:09 AM »
It was much like that. I didn't get to go by the shop again today, so there's a chance I'm "mis-remembering" it,  but I think the colors might have been a bit brighter -- a red, white and blue instead of red, green and blue, perhaps.

Offline Mike Morgan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »
Went by the shop today, and it is nearly identical to that picture... the only difference being that this one has a deformed cane in the red ring where the pictured weight has one it in the green ring. Thanks for the help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand