Author Topic: China Murano glass  (Read 144 times)

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
China Murano glass
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
Just for "kicks" I just did a google search under Murano glass made in China. It's amazing all the companies that come up listed under Alibaba for producing Murano glass made in China. Evidently there is no law to prevent the use of the name murano from being used for the description of the wares they make. I wonder if murano has now become a generic classification to describe what some would think is a type of glass design.
Many of the companies have the capacity to make 100,000/ month of many items. They might even have some factories that are named Murano glass in China and I would be surprised if this were not the fact. I know for a time in the 50's and 60's there was actually a small city in Taiwan or Hong Kong that was named USA. Hence hey labels things made in USA.
Just some info that I thought some people on the discussion group might find interesting.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: China Murano glass
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »
It looks like the 'copyright' only applies in certain countries ;D I have seen the Chinese Murano, a link on here, and Scandinavian style. I have not handled enough of the Quality glass to be 100% confident that its not Chinese, some are easy mind you, labels dont mean much as they are just as easily reproduced. It will only get harder as the Chinese Factories Glassmakers get better at what they do. I think some will become collectable in their own right (may well be now) Im off out wearing my Ray Ban Glasses, Prada Shoes and Gucci Shirt. (Jeans were made in Vietnam I think) ;D ;D ;D
Pete. :-)

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
key words
to search