No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nazeing glass? I've been told it is......  (Read 3260 times)

Offline glassfreak

• Members
Nazeing glass? I've been told it is......
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:26:07 AM »
Would welcome further confirmation that this bowl is Nazeing please.   :-*

Had it for ages in my collection and just love the black (in very bright light it can look like very deep olive green). Very slim, flat top with light ribbing radiating out from centre bowl. Base has ground pontil mark but definitely NOT W/F!

Measures: 18cm wide; 5cm high; 8cm wide at base.

Thanks for any help in resolving this mystery!  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Nazeing glass? I've been told it is......
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board. I think we'll need a larger photo to be able to help with this. We have some Help info about posting photos in the Help forum: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html but do ask for help if you get stuck and a Moderator will assist you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassfreak

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
OK - thanks for tip, Anne - guess I shrank the photo a bit too much!  ::)

I've attached here what is hopefully a larger image plus a 2nd of the base.

Cheers

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:35:32 PM »
Hello,

I'm curious, what makes you think/ believe it to be Nazeing?

Nigel

Offline glassfreak

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:38:05 PM »
Thanks for your Q, Nigel. Nazeing was the only suggestion posted when I queried this on the IsItWhitefriars web page. We bought it with a number of other pieces of British art glass some years ago, the rest being W/F, Liskeard and Stennett-Wilson for Wedgwood.

If you have other thoughts, please share them.

Thanks

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 09:32:57 AM »
I missed this on Isit W/f's? Were this the right shape I would have actually suggested that it was W/F's, or rather had the potential to be.

I am not aware of that black being produced at Nazeing Glass Works. The pontil is incorrect for any that I've seen on Nazeing and the shape is only similar to one's produced for the work now thought to be done by Nazeing for Elwell. However, this is far better made than those pieces, which to date all have broken (or snapped off) pontils and have a tendency to be slightly misshapen.

My conclusion is therefore that it is not Nazeing I'm afraid.

Nigel

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 09:48:20 AM »
I also missed this on w/F.com......when did you put it on, or do you have the Reference number that will appear on the photo?  But I am sure it is not Whitefriars as black is an unlikely colour.  emmi

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »
Beautiful bowl, reminds me a little of a Webbs bowl I've got,only flatter but with a similar base(polished pontil)what do you think?Keith.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 08:55:58 PM »
Emmi,

I've had a Powell/Whitefriars pat no 1258/8757 in black many years ago (which I wish I still owned - I had it for less than a day!!), and a posy bowl since which I think you'll find in Graham Hudson's photos on W/f's dot com. Further, if you look in The Country Seat's catalogue 'Glass Act II' you'll find a drinking glass with a black stem (cat ref E5). Oh, and Patrick's got some later post war, heavy, clear cased, pieces in black (published). Rare, but not unlikely......

Keith,

Your keeness is to be commended :), but posy bowls were made by many companies, both here and abroad and are all based on variations of a wide rim with a bulbous base. The rim can curve, be straight or be anywhere inbetween. The bowl can range from cylindrical through to all but spherical. The shapes, and their combinations can help identify which manufacturer made it. Hence my previous comments.

I can't see the 'ribbing' on the black posy bowl properly, but it looks more like rippling in the glass rather than purposeful ribbing made with the use of a mould when blowing (unlike the Webb version). Any comment, or a better photo, glassfreak? ....BTB, do you have a name??

Nigel

Offline glassfreak

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 03:55:13 AM »
Hi all and many thanks for your comments!

BTW, name is Nigel too!  :thup:

Just getting the hang of diff. terminology re glass - yes, you're right re 'rippling' rather than 'ribbing' (as I have on several W/F pieces). The top IS completely flat, apart from this light-touch rippling.

The bowl of this piece is NOT cylindrical - as you can see from the photo, it's wider at base than at rim underside, so there's a gentle tapering inwards.

The quality of the glass is very good.

Some of you have asked for the Ref on IsIt W/F - my mistake, I'd loaded another piece onto that site, which turned out to be a Wedgwood RSW top hat vase and had entered into email exchanges with 2 other collectors, both of whom suggested Nazeing. Having gone through what is provided here in the Glass Encyclopedia, I'd agree with comments here that it's NOT Nazeing.

So, not quite back at Square One, but still unsure as to who made this. Still, I like puzzles!  ::)
Cheers all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand