No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: art deco fish arm bowl -  (Read 2868 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
art deco fish arm bowl -
« on: September 20, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
Picked this up today. thought it was a swan bowl. cleaned it up and noticed they were fish handles. lol. Bit of research came up with Brockwitz (Germany). The question being the condition - it doesn't look 80 year old - did they make these up to the factory closure in the late 90's. Size is 15.5" handle to handle and 10" across.
Thanks Chris

Offline keith

• Members
Re: art deco fish arm bowl -
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »
See 'big pressed dolphin handles' I posted here a couple of days ago,Keith.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »
Looks like a really big, deep one Chris!   :o  And the glass looks quite clear and 'white'.  Mine looks more yellowy.  Nice clear glass does suggest it might be later  :-\ 
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 06:29:45 AM »
They may not have made them until the 1990s but the production run could have been long. Some of the English factories produced some of their lines for 30/40 years. Equally it could have been reissued. As Leni says (  :thup: ), the clear is unusually clear for one of these bowls.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:44:33 AM »

I have three clear ones, when seen side by side one is very clear, the other two yellowy. The yellowish glass does make them look older. I would think unless it was never used there would be some signs of wear if it was 80 years old.   Cheryl

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »
Mine is clear but has quite a bit of wear on its feet and a lot inside the bowl like it has been used for something,Keith.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »
Cheryl, Leni, Chris, Keith

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/01150.html
This is one of two pink I own, definitely from the same mould each, and, which seems important to me: the base is simply clear and smooth.
The blossoms are smooth, their background is a little 'sablÊe'.

My white one's base is decorated, and the bowl is smaller and more oval in shape.
Its blossoms have stamen, their background is smooth instead.
(Sorry, no photos so far; these and exact measurements to follow  :thup:)

Brockwitz ceased production in 1941 - we do not know what has happened to every mould; only a few went to Ankerglas Bernsdorf, as you know already (Heidi vase f.i.)

For further investigations, more photos of yours (details, bases) could be very helpful - thank you!

:angel:

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 09:37:41 PM »
Thanks all for your help so far, will post some photos and detail tomorrow Pamela.
Thanks Chris

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »
cheers.

p.s with a 10 megapixel camera taking high detail photos the 125KB limit seems a bit low. really have to shrunk them right down to a few inches in size. Great condition, just wear to feet as you would expect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand