No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: heavy swirl, 5 lobed pink & clear glass vase - Chribska?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: heavy swirl, 5 lobed pink & clear glass vase - Chribska?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 06:39:39 AM »
Jindrich:

Was the concave base, such as on this piece, used on the whole line, or on individual pieces that required it? I ask because I'd assumed the bases on all Czech pieces were flat. And then I went and checked and I have a Harrtil vase with a concave base, although all my other Harrtil pieces have flat bases

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »
David,
generally the most free hand Chribská pieces have flat bottom, same for Mstišov, ŽBS and Škrdlovice. Some pieces, however have pontil mark treeated as lense.

I have informationonly about practice in Škrdlovice, the pieces that had glass depth at bottom to small to make flat bottom was treated as waste and stored near glasswork chimney where later had been smashed personaly by Beranek. From this "chimney stock" glassmakers sometimes stole pieces that could be repaired by cutting, fixed it and use like "gifts" for doctors, magistrates, friends, etc..

I suppose that with Hartill (I have seen it written in CGR also as Hartyl) it is a bit different, fabricated piece had flat bottom when the thickness of bottom was OK, when not, they intendely not likvidated it as waste but cut the pontil mark to lense, becouse piece was relatively expensive.
I have also both bottom treatment types in my Hartill collection.

Jindrich

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Amaya

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54:30 AM »
Thank you so very much to everybody for your assistance.  Michelle for having put me on the right track, even though I lost my way as usual and would still be lost if Jindrich had not come to the rescue.  Jindrich, would you mind telling me if your information is gleaned from a catalogue (like Whitefriars) or many years of research?  I am new to this world of glass and research and while I wait for some, hopefully, informative books from the library, I hope you won't mind sharing some of your points of reference.

I haven't as yet worked out the code OK/153/23 and I've yet to find a vase exactly the same as this one-does this make this item rare?  Would you be able to give me an idea of its value please?

Thanks once again for all contributions received.

Amaya

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
Hi Amaya
Unfortunately I must inform you that this piece is not very rare, rather usual one.

Also for the meanwhile does not exist any book that would cover Chribska (or other Czechoslovakian glasswork) production completely (only Sklo Union is covered by M. Newhall). I have some Chribska catalogues, but also still not complete set. My identification is based on my Czechoslovakian Glass Database which I am systematicaly building. Here I have notice, that attribution of this piece is in Tschechoslowakische Glasrevue 1958/11 (I have German version only).

Bu good news, nice introduction to Czehoslovakian glass you can find in Mark Hill's "Hi Sklo, Lo Sklo" and very systematicaly and the best is covered Czechoslovakian pressed glass production of Sklo Union in Marcus Newhall's "Sklo Union - Art before Industry" - www. sklounion.com.

Offline Amaya

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »
Thank you Jindrich for your prompt reply and information.  So much to read and learn!  If I were to post this for auction on ebay, what would be a good and reasonable expected price?  Any ideas?

Thank you once again.

Amaya

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
Its hard to say with regards to prices, i sell quite alot on ebay and have sold many czech glass pieces, i start everything at 99p and ive had pieces go for £150 plus and pieces go for 99p, sadly the prices have come down quite a bit over the last 2 months.  If you check the completed list on ebay for chribska and for Hospodka that will give you an idea although bare in mind this is quite a nice piece so may fetch a little more
michelle

Offline Amaya

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »
Thank you very much Michelle.  I've checked the completed listings on ebay-for now I will catalogue all the info. for this item, perhaps my children will benefit from it in the far off future.  Who knows, if prices pick up before I drop off the perch I may try selling it!

Thank you to all for your time and assistance.

Amaya

Offline Amaya

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »
Hi.  Thank you for the post.  I had almost forgotten about my vase - it's been packed away for the time being.  I'll keep an eye on this auction though.
Regards Amaya

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand