No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harbridge Crystal bowl  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Harbridge Crystal bowl
« on: February 16, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »
I seem rarely to show anything these days  -  probably because I rarely buy anything - but couldn't resist this piece from the charity shop today.
I was going to do one of Keith's quiz type posts, but doubt there's many who would have guessed the maker - I know I wouldn't have done until I saw the partial backstamp.
So, it's Harbridge Crystal Company, and despite their inception being c. 1924, the lack of wear and the rather staid cutting style, suggests it's more likely to have been made post WW II - so would imagine somewhere between 1945 and their closure mid 1950s, with a feeling it's toward the end of that period.                     The cut design lacks any pretence at what we might think of as deco or avant-garde style, but you get a lot of sand for your money - it rings noisily when flicked and should look good filled with tangerines for the few weeks I might keep it.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Harbridge Crystal bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »
Nice find Paul, don't see many of their vases  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 06:50:08 PM »
Hi Keith  -  I had thought it was a bowl - albeit an odd shape  -  do you think it's more likely to be a vase?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 12:14:04 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Just one of those days, a bowl as you say ! the only piece I have is this bell, no idea of date  ??? or maybe a wide vase ?  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »
thanks Keith  -  sorry to appear thick, but unsure of what the connection is with Wordsley -  is that what Harbridge Crystal became  ........   I'd thought Harbridge simply disappeared after c. 1957 - but no expert on them.

Being a tad pendantic - though it may well make a difference to the dates of manufacture  -  I notice that one of my other pieces carrying the Harbridge backstamp has the name in inverted commas/quote marks, thus   "Harbridge"  -  whereas yesterdays piece is simply Harbridge.

Nice bell by the way  -  two tone (duo tone ?) always looks good.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
If I can remember where I've put it  ::) I'll look but pretty sure it says Harbridge at the bottom, scrub that I just looked and it says Stourbridge  ::) oh dear is that what happens when you pass 60 ? can't blame the glasses this time !

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »
 ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand