No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old English Glass Expert Needed for massive glass piece unknown?  (Read 753 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Old English Glass Expert Needed for massive glass piece unknown?
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »
Purchased fresh today  im unsure of the use of such an object i have a georgian rummer with exactly the same panel cutting at the base of the bucket! Yet this is massive proportion's 8.5" tall 51/4" rim 43/4" foot the foot incidently is 1cm thick and has a large polished pontil and is worn to the extremities a great deal. It has a cartouche with the initial "S" unsure of its relevance. The colour is tremendous against a white  wall it possitiveley exudes the lead colour very silvery/grey and of course heavy im sure its a very nice quality piece but im really unsure what it may be known as...
P.S. i thought celery but but the proportions just are not right it would be very proud when inside this item... :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Old English Glass Expert Needed for massive glass piece unknown?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:13:41 AM »
Hi , I dont think your glass is as mysterious as you think ,I would say it is a very large rummer,possibly for ceremonial use ,ie filled and passed around at a gathering , a civic ceremony, a marriage or such like,or merely a very large glass for someone who likes more than there fair share ,

For those who will be visiting the Cambridge Glass fair this weekend www.cambridgeglassfair.com you will be able to see in the Foyer exhibition a large collection of goblets of all sizes,some with a capacity of more than 2 litres,from the 17th and 18th centuries.from my collection.

Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Re: Old English Glass Expert Needed for massive glass piece unknown?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »
Thanks oldglassman really love the rummer the pictures dont really do the piece justice then again no photo's do. Interesting i never knew there were larger glasses made for these reason's. Would the intitial s in the cartouche mean that it is unlikely to be a religious piece? And when do you thnk it might date from i suppose without handling that may be a difficult question i tought it looked very regency in style! Looked at the link it looks superb i must try and get to one of these fairs for a day out sometime the quality of the glass looks superb...thanks :hiclp:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand