No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone else own this Wedgwood vase? Some info would be appreciated please.  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
Hi

I bought this little vase today because I'm getting a bit of a 'thing' for pewter coloured glass.  Can anyone tell me the range and designer please?  It's 4½" tall.  I have searched but found nothing yet.

With thanks in advance,
Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Anyone else own this Wedgewood vase? Some info would be appreciated please.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
The designer was Frank Thrower, it was part of the range he designed for Wedgwood (after Ronald Stennett Willson retired) when the two companies (Wedgwood & Dartington) collaborated. They were made in two sizes, 11cm and 14cm and in the 'colours' clear and midnight, code number is FJT7.

John

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
Re: Anyone else own this Wedgewood vase? Some info would be appreciated please.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »
John

I am always so grateful when I get a response to these enquiries.  That you have gone to the trouble to respond provides me with a well-needed reassurance that society is not completely on it's knees.  May your life be forever filled with happiness! 

Stu & Emma.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline Elmwood

• Members
Re: Anyone else own this Wedgwood vase? Some info would be appreciated please.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »
Hi,

Came across this on ebay today-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GLASS-VASE_W0QQitemZ220368319796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Art_Glass?hash=item334ef9b534&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Think it is the same- can you figure out what the etched mark on the listed item is  Stu? Would be nice to have a pair??

(May I just add for ref:- Designed by FT in 1982, "George" candlestick in plain midnight- have the benefit of the book, page 67).

Sharron

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:41:47 PM »
Hi Sharron

Wow - it's a candlestick - that's surprising.

I could really go mad on this 1980's stuff.  I found a large Brutus at our local car boot sale for £1 the other week and it's just about the nicest thing I own.  It's funny how it's possible to end up liking styles I would least expect to over others which I originally thought I favoured.

As for the one on ebay, how surprising that you found that!  Mine seems quite a bit darker, so I think I will give it a miss for now.  Strange markings they describe... nothing at all on mine.  Do you think their camera also focuses?!   :24:

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:35:13 PM »
The only mark i can think that it maybe (all be it they have described it very odly) is the portland vase mark which was used late 1960's -1970's (page 230 in millers 20th century glass byandy mcconnell) but that doesnt tally with the dates of these candle holders..??? unless they used the mark later than the 70's
michelle

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
Hi Stu,

Seems we are liking the same items- I too own a Brutus 8.25"- is that their med or large?- acquired in the same manner as you.... Love the way the light plays on the violet hues of the piece, regularly look out for them at the right price...

Hope you don't mind, but here are a couple more of my recent car boot finds, along with the Brutus:-
"Juliet" rose optic rose bowl
"Ming" vase in Midnight Optic

Would recommend the Frank Thrower & Dartington Glass bookalogue by Mark Hill and Eve Thrower.  I bought mine from Eve off Ebay accompanied with a fab dvd- the glass is just stunning.  Regularly thumb through my copy on a daily basis.  Would be happy to scan you the relevant pages and email them to you if you would like to take a peek.  

Sorry I do get a little over enthusiastic at times  :sleep:

Sharron

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:23:39 AM »
Hi Sharron

We're all guilty of that type of enthusiasm I think.  Strange lot we are!

I like the 'Juliet' and 'Ming' but can't think why anyone would want to flog any of these pieces at a car boot.  Thankfully they do though, eh?   ;D  I will defo get the book because I am heading off into Thrower-land.  What a designer!

Here's a picture of my car boot 10¼" Brutus next to an 'Onion' vase (which I paid too much for on ebay recently).  And the mad part is... I prefer the Brutus!  Maybe it's the quiet dignified aspect?  I always remember anything of quality in the 80's was often dark and serious looking... apart from the black ash furniture!

I also have the 6¼" Brutus, and I am guessing yours is the medium one unless someone knows different.  It's the last of our local car boots this Sunday  :cry: so I'm going to spend all day looking for one!

Stu.   
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
This one is also very good for Thrower fans. Shows many, many more examples. Often to be found a less than list price on a well known auction site

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 11:22:08 AM »
Fantastic!  Christine, thanks!   :)
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand