No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Green Murano Lamp  (Read 2468 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Large Green Murano Lamp
« on: September 23, 2009, 04:13:42 AM »
Hi all I bought this last weekend and I must admit it was on the pushing of my partner Alison. I like it very much but it has a couple of small dings in it and I am against buying glass with marks on them.

Still enough of that here it is. I am sort of hoping it is Seguso but I always hope for that particularly when it has that Sfumato effect. All in all it looks great and had it been perfect I most probably couldn't have afforded it.

Size glass only:  15 1/2" (39cm) to top, 6 1/2" (165mm) diameter at widest and 4 3/4" (120mm) at base.

Weight: 5lb 4oz roughly (2.4kg accurate)

Any ideas would be grovelingly accepted.

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Large Green Murano Lamp
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 06:28:34 AM »
Ardy:

I don't see Sfumato in the piece, but I've always had difficulty understanding exactly what Sfumato is. To me it's bullicante withe aventurine.  It's a very nice lamp, but I'd look at Barbini or Barovier & Toso before Seguso. A quick google brought up http://swanklighting.com/lamps/vintage-murano/blue-barbini-opaline-murano-lamps-controlled-bubbles-gold-lacquer. Obviously not the same lamp, but similar enough to warrant continuing looking.

You are doing well this week.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »
Hi David thanks again, there is not a lot of sfumato, mainly around the neck. I always think it is more like dust than aventurine and it always looks as if it has washed in there with some areas heavier than others and trails where it hasn't been covered properly. Luckily one of the first great A.Seguso pieces I bought was full of it (Pulveri Oro) and I had to find out about it. This is the quote I originally looked up:

""Sfumato" is a technique producing this smoky effect by enclosing fine inner veils of colour in the glass."

It is usually over the top of the main colour or gold foil.

I bought this piece for using and not really for the colllection so it doesn't really count but it still a lovely lamp and a great piece of glass.

Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:53:59 AM »
Looks like Barbini to me.  I have a Barbini bowl about the same color.  It is totally his style and color scheme.  He uses a lot of pastel colors.  It is probably made in the 1950's.  Very good find!! :hiclp:

tam bam

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
Thanks Tami - I went looking for similar pieces yesterday on the web and didnt see anything in B&T will have a look at Barbini today.

regards
Archimede tops my list.

Offline glasshunter

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:40:57 AM »
wow Ardy, nice lamp id site thanks bart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum