No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso Shell Vase?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Seguso Shell Vase?
« on: September 23, 2009, 04:35:03 AM »
This is the last of my purchases last weekend.

I think this is an Archimede Seguso shell vase as there is a very similar piece on page 41 of Leslie Pina's Seguso book. 6" (150mm) long at the top and 3 1/2" (90mm) high. These sizes don't match the book which is my nagging concern.

Would be interested in your ideas.

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Seguso Shell Vase?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 06:18:04 AM »
Ardy:

On the plus side, it does have the same number of ribs as the one in the book. I wouldn't worry about the size discrepancy too much as they're in the same ballpark. Hard to judge by colour as I suspect the flash has made the piece appear more transparent and brighter than it really is. Does it seem well made? If yes and it was in my collection, I say more than likely Seguso.

Nice find.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:20:01 AM »
Thanks David it appears very well made and that was why I took a stab at it.

The colour is almost exactly like the one in the book and it really was the size that had me worried, although I hadn't counted the ribs, so thanks for that. When you look on the side you can see the clear glass casing effect (sommerso?)

regards

BTW. I have some other pieces that I bought a few weeks ago one is a great A. Seguso vase but it has the label so I don't need to id it. The other ones are semi interesting and I might put them on but I don't want to push the friendship too much.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
BTW. I have some other pieces that I bought a few weeks ago one is a great A. Seguso vase but it has the label so I don't need to id it. The other ones are semi interesting and I might put them on but I don't want to push the friendship too much.

So is that a polite way of saying you are holding out on us???

I, for one would love to see the Seguso piece with a label.  We do allow "Show and Tell" here.   :thup:

By the way....   Nice find on the bowl.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 11:03:12 PM »

So is that a polite way of saying you are holding out on us???

I, for one would love to see the Seguso piece with a label.  We do allow "Show and Tell" here.   :thup:

By the way....   Nice find on the bowl.

Craig

Ahh! Craig this is news to me. I thought I would be stepping over the bounds etc.etc. I read a message here on another thread that said you don't discuss price either and I had been reporting what I bought stuff for. I was just treading a little carefully, not easy for me, believe me! In fact it might be nice if someone pointed to a thread where the etiquette of the site is discussed.

Will post the Seguso vase.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 11:26:22 PM »
Board posting guidilines are shown in the "Board Policy" thread in the "Board Information, Help and Announcements" forum.

As for stating purchase prices, there is no formal guideline on that. But, of course, if one member puts up lots of "Hey, I got this real cheap" messages one after another, this could be taken by some folk as being a bit "cheeky" and likely to reduce their desire to respond (or perhaps increase the desire but in a rather negative manner :o).

In respect of "value" requests, many members will choose not to comment as the Board does not offer a valuation service and any comments that are made will only be the opinion of the poster. And even if backed up with evidence from, for example, previous sales results, any "values" can only be representative of the time they were applicable.
KevinH

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »
Thanks Kev - should have read the fine print before starting. Typical me.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand