No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An 'Italian' Saint Louis? ID = SL 1954  (Read 8871 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
An 'Italian' Saint Louis? ID = SL 1954
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
I am guessing that this is a Murano 'take' on a Saint Louis paperweight. Am I right?

Mod: At this point the original message gave an eBay link (item number 110437495996) which is no longer available but was titled: "Saint Louis Millefiori Paperweight Signed Cane SL 1956".

Kind of interesting though.

SophieB

Mod: See below for update, as at Mar 2010, including images of the actual weight.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: An 'Italian' Saint Louis?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »
The canes look like Murano canes in the blurry main photo but I think this is SL.

According to the book "The Art of the Paperweight, Saint Louis" by Gerard Ingold (a fmr. manager at SL),
SL started production of modern millefiore paperweights in 1953.

The cog canes look like SL canes and the sign/date cane is typical SL.
The date looks like 1954 and not 1956 as mentioned in the ad.

So I think this is an early paperweight from a time when they were still trying to re-awaken their skills.

The price may be a bit high tho.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:17:14 PM »
Hi Sophie

I'm with Alexander on this - a genuine early modern Saint Louis. That said, IMHO a pretty dull (and expensive) weight, and I'm sure the Italians have made ones as good if not better!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
Hum! I understand what you are saying but I am still not convinced by the authenticity of this weight...

I know that SL had only just restarted making paperweights by then but this seems too clumsy an effort to be right. Even if the date cane says 1954, it is a whole year after starting production (and if I remember well, SL kick-started paperweight making in 1952, most of which was spent researching and rediscovering paperweight-making techniques. It is on the strength of their effort in that year that they decided to restart production in 1953 - so by 1954 they would have been at it for two years). Personally, if I had been responsible for taking the decision of producing paperweights again, I would not have done so on the basis of the paperweight on Ebay. SL workers must have had to produce something better than that to justify a return to production.

Also the canes (however blurry) do not seem to fit. I have seen a couple of their early modern weights in the past and I remember very different canes; the early canes I remember looked much more like a 'memory' of the canes they had produced in the 19th c.

On the other hand, the two of you have a lot more experience than me and must have handled (a lot) more SL weights too. AARGH! I am completely confused... I really thought that the Ebay weight was an interesting and (very) elaborate fake...

SophieB

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 11:56:23 PM »
After searching on the internet, I found an example of an early SL weight:

http://www.libertys.com/li2/lib2487.jpg

http://www.libertys.com/sibert83.htm

According to Liberty's, it is an SL weight for 1953 (but it is impossible to read the date/signature cane on this picture).

It is a completely different weight from the Ebay example. It has definitely a nice SL feel about it (and a vague look of the classic period).

What do you think?

If only we could handle the Ebay weight, we'd know instantly...

SophieB  

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:11 AM »
Hi, I've matched the cog canes in the weight to similar canes in the SL book, the SL and 1954 letter/number canes also confirm to SL
letters and numbers. The shape seems right and the setup isn't that disastrous.

I agree that is it a clumsy weight for SL, however I do not have any problems with this being SL.
Even the Liberty weight you mention has canes that are distorted and a leaf fallen off it's stem.

The best fakes I've seen, outside of the fake PY/Scottish weights, were made in China to resemble antique NEGC nosegays,
so I'd rule out a Murano fake. The Muranese weights with spurious dates have very different datecanes.
The Chinese fakes were made with Chinese canes.

The only way I see this as a fake is if someone else used authentic SL canes to make a weight.

I doubt the seller will get any bids since the 500 starting bid is below reserve.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 02:46:50 AM »
Thanks, Alexander. I was coming to the same conclusion, i.e. that you and Alan are both right.

I had also compared the cog canes to canes used in other SL weights and found that they problably matched (taking into account the blurry nature of the Ebay picture).

And you are right also to point out that this fake would be a little too elaborate.

No, I cannot see it being sold at that price either (even as a genuine SL).

Many thanks to you and Alan for your help.

SophieB

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 07:38:50 AM »
Hi
Has anyone contacted the font of all knowledge on modern French Norman Faulkner?

He has photographs of just about every modern French weight.

Roy

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 01:49:58 PM »
It is definitely Saint Louis. Date cane is for 1956. During the 1950's revitalization efforts some of the SL weights are quite primitive and others quite nice. It is almost as if the two people making them were not talking to each other.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »
anyone contacted the font of all knowledge on modern French Norman Faulkner?
Yes, Roy. But no response yet.

However, Andy has made a good point about the differing quality in those early years, and I see no reason to think there is any real problem with the weight. But it's out of my experience zone.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand