No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: couple of pieces... Murano or Czech? - ID = Chribska  (Read 4779 times)

Offline thepazza71

• Members
couple of pieces... Murano or Czech? - ID = Chribska
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:10:57 PM »
Hi,
just a couple of pieces i've bought as Murano but i'm not sure they are, I think they could be czech... Can any one help?
many thanks

Offline keith

• Members
Re: couple of pieces... Murano or sklo? any help would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:13:28 PM »
From what I've learnt while on this site I'd say yes Czech,Chribska I think,Keith.

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:16:55 PM »
oh right, do you know if Chribska classed as Sklo union?? Plus whether they are more desirable than Murano... I paid £6 for the smaller one and £18 for the big one so just wanted to know if i've spent wisely (for a change!) ha ha

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »
Right,first question,don't really know,second,that depends on your taste and as for spending wisely you're asking the wrong person I've just spent more than I probably should on nine pieces of glass and have no where to put them,Keith.

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:33:54 PM »
I know what you mean... collecting glass becomes an addiction, i've got glass everywhere in my house, I keep thinking i will sell them for a profit but end up keeping them instead!  ;D

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »
Hi,
Chribska production cannot ever be described as Sklo Union. Formerly the oldest glassworks continuously in production anywhere in Europe, they have only made off-hand glass, and never, as far as I am aware, pressed glass.

The business was established in the 15th century, before pressing of glass became an established part (19th century) of modern industrial mass-production.

Czech glass had an unrivalled purity in the late 18th  and 19th centuries, which is why much ordinary sodium-potash glass has been referred to as crystal, without any lead additive.

So me.....

I'll take Czech glass most times, and who knows, your Murano piece with label, may still have been made elsewhere, like a recent suit purchase, labelled visibly, Made in Italy, in the pockets.... Fabricado em Portugal >:D >:D

Don't you just love globalisation, and out-sourcing??  NOT!!!.

M

Offline thepazza71

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
thank you for such a full and detailed reply  :hiclp:

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 06:34:14 AM »
Only to complete Marcus' exhausting information:

Glassworks in Chřibská (at that time German Kreibitz) was first time documented in written in 1414 / town Kreibitz is mentioned first time in 1352, Czech name Chřibská was given to th etown in 19th century by František Palacký.

Top vase is known "bull head" pattern 296/4/19, designed by Josef Hospodka approx. 1960 - 1963, lower vase is pattern 241/1/26 - same author and dating.

Jindrich

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »
Are these still being made?  The reason I ask is because I bought 4 of these recently, two pairs of each style, then when I looked again at the same dealer, he had another set of 4 available, which made me think he was buying them in from somewhere to sell.  There seem to have been surprising numbers for sale recently.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »
Well, not exactly "beeing made", but was in production up to the middle 2007 in Chřibská - bancrupted company was named Rubin glass s.r.o.
Simmilar pieces had been produced also in Nový Bor by Egermann s.r.o. (www.egermann.cz). This company interupted production completely this summer, but according to newspapers the production was restored this September, about restoring production of free blown glass I have no information.

There are some slight differences betwen "old" Czechoslovakian production and recent Czech production namely in used colours but I am not able to define hints how to distinguish fabrication period or give sure proof what is new and what is old.

Jindrich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand