No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: i.d. please for large 1930's bowl.  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
i.d. please for large 1930's bowl.
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:29:50 AM »
some of these pale colours are difficult to photograph - so apologies in advance for the 'not so good pics'.    Shed loads of wear on the bottom, and with a nicely ground and polished pontil mark.   You can see in the second pic. how highly domed the inside part of the bowl is, but that may be common for this type of object perhaps.   Regrettably, no marks that I can see.   Has a sort of optical wave ribbing, and you can see the hexagonal image around the centre of the bowl.  Quite big -something like 29.5 cms. across the flanged rim, and about 8.5 cms. high.   May have been a common style 70 or 80 years ago, so specific attribution either difficult or impossible  -  but wud be keen to have anyone's thoughts  -  and thanks for looking.     Paul S.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: i.d. please for large 1930's bowl.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
Looks a bit Whitefriar-ish or Webbs maybe,Keith.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
I don't know if this is any help http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3617.0.html. I would also look at the Whitefriars catalogues on www.whitefriars.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
Whitefriars pattern number 7192 in Gold Amber.   Made in 2 sizes, yours is the larger.  Can be seen in the 1938 & 1940 Whitefriars catalogues  :)
Leni

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 04:54:23 PM »
my sincere thanks to all of you  -  and I'm really glad that it is a piece of whtfrs.    Of course I had looked in Jackson, page 118 (and thought that it might have been whtfrs.),  but got a bit confused by the colours shown, so was doubtful, and decided it was best not to rush into an assumption.     So, I'm very pleased, and will add it to my small collection which is getting bigger (slowly).  I now have another piece of pale blue (from the same charity shop) which has ribbon trailing, and might just be whtfrs.   fingers crossed, and I will post a pic shortly.     thanks again to all.    Paul S.     

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
And it goes with David's hexagonal for WF theory!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand