No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cased dark red vase?  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Cased dark red vase?
« on: October 23, 2005, 07:56:12 PM »
This vase is 4.5 inches high and is dark red with a clear casing. It is cut across the base.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20709.jpg

I apoligise for the poor picture.

Help on identification would be much appreciated. Thank you.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Cased dark red vase?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 07:12:07 PM »
I couldn't get the light much closer than this.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20712.jpg

As you can see, it is still difficult to photograph even with a flash. The red is so dark it is almost black.

Do you think it might be Scandinavian or possibly Murano?

There is some ware to the base but not much. The Quality of the glass is good and the handles (or whatever they are) are very well made.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Cased dark red vase?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 07:31:42 PM »
Hi Tiger

If it's 1960s 70s - and I will presume it is for now, then it is Scandinavian -

Actually I am commenting on the vase in your first post that is simple shape, your second better photo is one you already posted about (was it in Murano) actually I think that is also Scandinavian because of that cylindrical heavy cased base and the undulations, the little scrolled handles are very Skrufs, but I am sure it is not that company :?: I have seen this before somewhere it's not a one off, sometimes a score across the base can indicate a second, though not always

I will take a look around

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Cased dark red vase?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:04:11 PM »
Thank's David.  :)

I haven't posted this red cased vase anywhere else. There are three big scratches on the base but they all go off in different directions.  :)

Anonymous

Cased dark red vase?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 06:08:17 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
There are three big scratches on the base but they all go off in different directions.  

may we assume then that the bottom is polished?
may we also assume that it is a heavy piece?

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Cased dark red vase?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:24:45 AM »
I apoligise for this confusion. You were seeing a different picture to me but I think I've sorted it out now.  :oops:

It is 270kg.

The base is polished flat.

You may want to look at my other topics because those pictures were wrong too.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Cased dark red vase?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 09:40:57 PM »
It took me a while to recover after all those mistakes above.  :lol:

I wonder if someone has seen this on their travels yet?  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand