No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vases - Luminarc, Crystal d'Arques,  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
Vases - Luminarc, Crystal d'Arques,
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:23:38 PM »
This isn't an ID request really, but more of a 'can you find it' bit of fun.

These vases are everywhere.  I can pick up about 7 at a time at our local boot sale, and I usually sell them on to people who are just after the "look". 

Imagine how surprised I was to see the same vase listed at http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/index2.html albeit not if the form I am familiar with. 

Can you find it too?  (Though I am sorry if this has been done before).

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Vases - Luminarc, Crystal d'Arques,
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »
Pamela is one of the most cherished members of this board; her documented collection has helped thousands of people ID their pressed items, rare or common. The work that went into identification and completeness of this site is staggering. Therefore, even the more mundane pieces of Crystal d'Arques find a place there, too.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »
I think this is another case of what might be becoming "Stuart's Semantics Syndrome".

When I said that I was surprised to see it on Pamela's site, I meant it in the following way...

"I was surprised to see it in the form it is in on Pamela's site, because I have only ever known it in the burgundy form I have posted.  I never knew the vase existed in an earlier amber form.  I was surprised by this and very very happy.  Pamela site is the best site I have ever seen, and I stay up sometimes late into the early hours trying to memorize the pictures."

But you have seen it this way...

I can't believe this vase is on Pamela's site.  I thought Pressglas was good but actually it's bad.

CAN EVERYONE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I AM A NICE GUY?  PLEASE????  WOULD I BE THE FIRST TO LEAVE BECAUSE OF BEING REPEATEDLY (ALMOST WILLINGLY IT SEEMS) MISUNDERSTOOD AND PICKED UPON???  THIS IS GETTING QUITE WEIRD!!!

Stu.

Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 01:22:22 AM »
Hi Stu, I'm sure Ivo and nobody else read your message the second way!  :kissy: It's easy to feel picked on in online forums (I know, I've been there), but I don't think anyone is picking on you.

These d'Arques pieces are some of the most common ID requests we get here on the GMB--in fact, I wouldn't mind betting that they are the most common.Over the years, poor old Ivo has had to give bad news to huge amounts of people who'd hoped that they'd found something special. The vases are actually quite attractive, IMHO.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:10:21 AM »
It wasn't an ID request.  I had actually gone out of my way to provide what-I-thought-might-have-been a fun treasure hunt for fellow GMB members, and I am shocked that no-one has seen it that way.

I guess they couldn't have done though, or this thread would now be fun rather than me being told that I have things wrong.

This place gets weirder.

Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

Hi Stu!!

I found it in the end!LOL!! must say the one on Pamelas site is GORGEOUS! I'd like one of those, however like you I only ever see the same ones as you  :cry:

Warmest Wishes,

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
I only ever see these vases in clear and dare I confess that I do own one but it does stay out of sight in the guest room although I do think the burgundy ones are pretty.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »
One of the joys of multicultural communication is that our words (in English) can be perceived differently due to the differences in exposure. A constant problem in our house with Carmen being native German, Felicity native Dutch and me native English. I often get pulled up for saying the wrong thing when I didn't and can also misunderstand them. Mind you the English also seem to have a problem with the way I say things  >:D

Tolerance and asking for clarification is often the key.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »

Hi Stu!!

I found it in the end!LOL!! must say the one on Pamelas site is GORGEOUS! I'd like one of those, however like you I only ever see the same ones as you  :cry:

Warmest Wishes,

John

:24:

John - you win!!!  Good searching - you are #1 treasure finder.

Now I just need to find another same-but-not-the-exactly-the-same scenario... which might prove tricky.

Thanks for playing - I think it all helps with getting one's glass eye in, so to speak.

Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
I only ever see these vases in clear and dare I confess that I do own one but it does stay out of sight in the guest room although I do think the burgundy ones are pretty.

Oh well here's more education for me, Margi, because I haven't seen a cleat one yet.  I would love to see one posted here if anyone has the time.

I also keep mine out of sight in a dark corner, but that's mainly because the burgundy panels are transfers, which are very sensitive to light, and so they can fade dramatically over time.  I am guessing that maybe those which have retained their dark burgundy colour will be collectables of the future... OK, maybe the very distant future. :)

Stuart & Emma Taylor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand