No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dirty decanter...  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Dirty decanter...
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 09:44:16 PM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
I've contemplated getting it professionally tumbled - I managed to track a nearby company down that would do it for £20 per bottle. Would this get rid of the clouding, does anyone know?

Hi Pinkspoons

ParadiseTrader put this useful link on the GMB a while ago.  It's worth a look at to see some results of tumbling I think!  

http://www.bottletumbling.com/

I have to say I know nothing about tumbling glass personally...my own opinion is I'd think very hard about the value of what I was tumbling before I tumbled it!   :)
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Dirty decanter...
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 10:06:12 PM »
Well I paid £65 for it... but it's worth somewhere around the £150 mark (when mint). Is it worth risking tumbling it? I suppose there are always the acid options (done professionally, of course).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Dirty decanter...
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 10:09:04 PM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
Well I paid £65 for it... but it's worth somewhere around the £150 mark (when mint). Is it worth risking tumbling it? I suppose there are always the acid options (done professionally, of course).

I'm out of my depth.  I don't know how good tumbling is, or whether acid would be better. :insert shrug emoticon here:  If you're going to sell it though, you'd have to admit restoration...but you knew that of course.  :)

xx
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Dirty decanter...
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »
Holmegaard rarely leaves my grasp once it's there, so there's not much risk in it being sold.

I'm not quite sure what the attraction is, though, as a lot of it doesn't display very well and is admittedly overtly bland. T'is a mystery. I probably like it because it's subtle. Yes, I'll settle with that.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Dirty decanter...
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
Hi I have had similar problems with items, Things to try are:

Cillit Bang
Steredent
Toothpaste - bicarbonate of soda type
Lead shot from an angling shop - swirl round with some liquid
Cerium Oxide - available from stone tumbling suppliers (also used for polishing out scratches)

Hope this helps!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »
If its not too deep in the glass i find Viakal limescale remover works.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 06:12:59 PM »
you can try every chemical under the sun - some things work on limescale (like Viacal)  others on biological deposits (like chlorine bleach). But no liquid is active on glass surface damage by etching. It will need mechanical action, tumbling or dremeling and it is hard work. Stay away from lead, use copper instead.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »
Bottles and your decanter , as far as shape is concerned, are suited to tumbling but polishing would also be as effective. I would get prices for both approaches. Polishing tends to be done by restorers whereas tumbling is often by enthusiasts, although restorers probably have tumbling machines. Bottles worth thousands have been tumbled and the risk is low but should be discussed with a restorer who will tell you the pluses and minuses of each approach. Tumbling can be a lengthy process but it is not labour intensive once you have made your machine. Polishing is labour intensive but faster, although sometimes the tool has to be made for each job.

Offline Madbrit

• Members
  • West German Pottery, & Scandinavian Glass
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »
Have you tried gently Ultrasounding it, most local electronics companies have them, i recently did this with a Walther Solifleur vase and i worked a tread, mind you the Walther is a serious lump of glass....Kev  8)
Text and images © Kevin Graham

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
I'd want be certain the piece was well annealed before subjecting it to ultrasound  :o exploding glass is not clean glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand