No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Boda Vase and Bowl - approximate dates of manufacture?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline yasminyana

• Members
Kosta Boda Vase and Bowl - approximate dates of manufacture?
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:08:31 PM »
I bought the Kosta Boda vase in Stockholm in the summer from a second hand shop and I'd like to know how old it is.  It's marked LH 1389 and is 13cm high and 9cm at its widest point.

I bought the bowl in York this weekend and again I'd like to know how old it is.  It's marked 7292002 Kosta Boda Monica Backstrom Lim. Ed. 300 ex.  It's 23.5cm long and 8.5cm at the widest point.

I really love this type of glassware after my Dad bought a smaller vase back from Sweden in the 1960's and my Mom finally agreed to give it to me after years of me saying how much I liked it!

If anyone has any ideas about the ages of these two pieces, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Re: Kosta Boda Vase and Bowl - approximate dates of manufacture?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
The vase is handcrafted vase by Vicke Lindstrand at Kosta Glassworks. My last catalog dates LH 1251 which is dated 1955-1956.

Bill Geary

Offline yasminyana

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »
Bill,

Thanks very much for responding.  So I guess the vase is around the late 1950's as the number is higher than the ones you have in your catalogue for this type of vase?

I'm really pleased that it's as old as that as I thought it was quite modern.

Thanks once again.

Yasmin

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:33:39 AM »
Yasmin:

The Lindstrand piece was designed in 1959. There's another vase in the same pattern that is about 30 cm high. I think that the Backstrom piece is much more recent, 2002 or later. Nice pieces.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline yasminyana

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:09:17 AM »
David,

Thanks very much for the information about both items.  I paid around £45 for the vase and £40 for the bowl so I'm well pleased with the information I've been given as they appear to be nice examples.  I know that all of the modern Kosta Boda glassware was very expensive in Stockholm so I feel I've paid a fair price for both items.  I'll post the details of the smaller vase as soon as I get it as I'm dying to know more about it!

Many thanks.

Yasmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand