No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: paul ysart weight? ID = Not Ysart - German or other European  (Read 6795 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
paul ysart weight? ID = Not Ysart - German or other European
« on: October 24, 2005, 08:18:55 PM »
another one i got today, it measures 3" across and 2.5" high, multi coloured cane chip's  with gold and green aventurine on a mottled white ground in a harlequin style, there are some full cane's but there on there side and can not see the ends

click image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:09:00 AM »
Ray, are the coloured bits set on a very thin white ground? I can't properly tell from the photos.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:12:46 AM »
hi Kev

well it's not translucent, but fogot to say the white ground is also cane chips if that help's
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 01:58:57 PM »
Photo of full underside of weight at a slight angle please.  :)
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 05:12:10 PM »
the base is ground but not finished there are marks on the base suggesting that it was going to be ground but what happened maybe a second ? i think the line's are done in pencil, the weight also fluoresces light dusty green  

cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 11:04:14 PM »
Hmmm ... Interesting base finish/unfinish! I'm not sure what was going on there. Perhaps the weight has had some damage removal performed but the base area was not cleaned up???

However, now that I have seen the white ground, I can say that it is "more lumpy" than the equivalent of each layer of my Triple Harlequin example, but I am reasonably happy that it's a Paul Ysart weight and most likely 1930s period.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 11:43:52 PM »
thanks Kev so my 1st thoughts were right but the base put me off a bit,

right he's another one form the same batch, same size but with a pontil not completely ground down , the weight wobbles

cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:27:08 AM »
I did not see this later one until just now.

Looks like a regular Bohemian / German weight to me.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 08:52:02 AM »
i thought European, you will see that there is are two or three brown/red colour frit in the weight and in my ysart button weight there is a matching same colour piece's of frit
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
paul ysart weight?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 02:03:53 PM »
UPDATE & CORRECTION

About the first weight ray posted in this thread, I said:
... now that I have seen the white ground, I can say that it is "more lumpy" than the equivalent of each layer of my Triple Harlequin example, but I am reasonably happy that it's a Paul Ysart weight and most likely 1930s period.
Well, I have now changed my mind!

Having seen the weight in real life and set it against my early Paul Ysart pieces, I no longer think this is an Ysart. The use of the white bits as a ground had me "reasonbaly happy", but when all the other features were taken as a whole, it looks much like a regular European weight.

One thing that I have always been hesitant to say is that all Paul Ysart weights with peripheral bubbles will have only 6 or 8 bubbles in the outer ring. If I were to make that statement publicly, no doubt a few would suddenly turn up, just to prove me wrong :).

However, as yet, I have not seen other numbers in Ysart weights, but I have seen (in books, and on dealers stands) several weights with 7 peripheral bubbles, which is what Ray's item has, and these have all been consistent with a general German / Bohemian attribution. I am also willing to believe that such weights may also have been produced in France or Belgium.

Under UV (Longwave & Shortwave) Ray's weight fluoresces much the same as early Ysart (Green & "Dusty" Grey). But as I have said elsewhere, this UV reaction is common to much sode-based glass as was used in many countries.

Another point is that, like many Ysart early scramble (or "Harlequin") weights, this weight contains pieces of aventurine. With the weight in my hand and daylight for viewing, it was clear that the aventurine was "watery" [as a visual description, not a method of manufacture] whereas the aventurine used in Ysart weights was more "solid" in apperance.

So, even though Ray's photos were very good, viewing the actual item amongst other known pieces made a lot of difference and the clues were easier to assess. Also, the 7 peripheral bubbles feature is something that I really should have commented on in the first place, if only as a suggestion of a query.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand